1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nap 140 clone

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by geordie37, Jun 12, 2019.

1. geordie37

geordie37 New Member

Good evening everyone,

I purchased two NAP 140 clones (with components) from e-bay recently with a view to gaining experience at self build DIY audio equipment. (I am a complete novice, but very keen - and this may a stretch for my first attempt at a self build.....)

I have however quickly found out that the boards are not enough to use on their own.....power supply, rails??.....are all new to me.

Is their a thread that has previously run in PFM that someone could send please..........so I can read and learn from.

Thanks everyone

Geordie

2. misterc6

misterc6 Wasted and wounded, it ain’t what the moon did

Hi Geordie and welcome to PFM.

I have to be brutally honest and say that if you didn't realise that a power supply would be needed along with a knowledge of working with mains voltages you may find the task difficult, to say the least. Clones bought on eBay often come with inferior components and can give be difficult to set up. You will need to search the DIY room and the Internet in general to find some help. My advice would be to start with a simpler project possibly battery operated or designed to run from a power supply module.

I wish you all the luck in the world, but please be careful!

3. MJS

MJS Trade: Consultant at WH Audio

I'll add to that. A lot of these boards have been copied component for component from the original. I know from testing the originals that they lived on the edge of stability and we often had to adjust the compensation on the amp boards to keep them stable into any load. This was done with a lot of test gear. I wouldn't like to say if the clones have copied the original board layout, that affects things too. Are the Sanken output transistors originals or fakes? Are the input transistors matched? DC offset may also be a big problem with these.

To be honest, I'd look at getting a pair of Naim boards secondhand or even an Avondale NCC200 as they're far more likely to be genuine and not fry your loudspeakers.

337alant and Snufkin like this.
  4. timH

timH Senior Moment Member

Yep power amp is a tough first project. Why not just use the boards as a learning resource to practice your soldering skills on

5. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

Welcome to PFM
    Other than practicing your soldering skills dont use those Nap 140 clone boards for the reasons Mark and Malcolm stated above, I have some spare NCC 200 boards which are excellent PM me if you want them.
    There are loads of threads on here for building the NCC-200s

Alan

Jonathan likes this.
  6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Welcome to DIY. As others have said you have a bit to learn, but it's OK, it can all be learnt. As regards a power supply, getting a cheap amp, maybe faulty, is an easy way in. A mate gave me a dead AV amp that I've butchered for a free PSI and case, it all works and I know that it's safe. Have fun. Oh, and build a battery powered amp, say for headphones, first.

7. 337alant

8. DuncanF

DuncanF pfm Member

9. juz400

juz400 pfm Member

10. 337alant

11. m3trackboy

m3trackboy Active Member

Hi Geordie
    Start with something simpler preferably with battery voltage, the voltages NAP clones and NCC200's run at are unforgiving if you get it wrong, you end up with fried components. Please don't take this the wrong way but you need to have a reasonable knowledge on using a multi-metre as well as a soldering iron. If your building a HiFi system start with a preamp clone like the NAC 152, you can then practice with the multi-metre, learn what the basic components do and work up to a power amp, read posts on this forum especially about using cheap speakers for testing and putting sacrificial resistors in the power lines.

Most of all if your not sure ask, i'm relatively new to the forum but find it super friendly and helpful. These guys have near enough invented the wheel and got the tee shirt!

Have fun and good luck

12. geordie37

geordie37 New Member

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will ditch the naim 140 boards and look for something else.

I have purchased a multimeter, a PCB holder an extractor fan, a large magnifying glass, solder remover sucker thing and a 60 w solder station.......so I'm ready to start my new hobby, my learning and my new pleasure.

Could someone explain how to PM a member please.......I would like to thank members individually for their support and honesty.

Kind regards

Simon

13. geordie37

geordie37 New Member

>>>>Meant to say that I will use the boards and components to practice my soldering skills.

I have also being using video clips to learn how to check each type of component is working correctly :D

I feel as though some knowledge and progress is being made........it might be slow.....but it is being made.

Simon

14. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

15. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

Don't ditch them!
    Practice soldering on them.
    Apply them to cheapo test speakers whilst running them off a bench PS or a couple of laptop PSUs (then you don't need to meddle with mains voltage).
    Live.. learn..and maybe get to see the magic smoke :)

Dowser and glenn jarrett like this.
  16. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

I'd second this suggestion. They're somewhat expensive by the time you've added carriage and VAT, but sound great (imo) and use a commercial power supply, so are much safer for a beginner. The whole DIYaudio forum is a mine of information. Have fun.

17. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

I reckon mine cost about £330 each with tax and post so not so cheap for diy I guess but quality cases, no hassle buying parts and I think sound great sound too.