1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nap 90

Discussion in 'audio' started by say it as it is, Mar 26, 2020 at 4:35 PM.

1. say it as it is

say it as it is Well-Known Member

Hi

yet again looking for some advice here finding it hard to get a sensible priced 140 so broadened my thinking to Nap 90 as they seem to be more available.

I have a 72 to hook up to.

question here is will the 72/90 be any upgrade over my Nait5i?

I know the 140 pairs well with the 72 what about the 90?

will be powering Tannoy floorstanders DC6T current source Rega Apollo CD

2. MJS

MJS Trade: Consultant at WH Audio

I'd personally avoid the NAP90. Early ones weren't too well laid out, many of them overheated, and only the version in the later Nait3 (flat90) solved the issues.
    A similar specced but far more musical amp would be the NAP110 or even an 120 if you can find one.

YNWOAN and Stuart Frazer like this.
  3. say it as it is

cheers its finding olive stuff that's the issue I quite liked the look of the slim full width case of the 90 that was all but certain appeal of the shoebox 140 in ideal word yes id have an olive 250 but need a lottery win

4. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

A 72 with a 110 sounds marvelous ! I would wait until you find one, much better investment.

Stuart Frazer and Snufkin like this.
  5. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

I have an unserviced cb model but something is wrong and it will not power a preamp. I like it. It doesn't have the control of the 110 and is not as coherent in terms of musical understanding, but it does have a more Nait 1 / 2 like agility. Not heard the later models.

6. DavidS

DavidS pfm Member

Avoid the 90 , look for a 110 or 140.

YNWOAN, Stuart Frazer and Snufkin like this.
  7. lagavullin10y

lagavullin10y pfm Member

Surely 'patience is a virtue' is an English saying?

8. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

I ran a NAP90 for years but a 140 or 110 is so much better that I really wouldn't bother with one again. Unless you have no option, look for a 110/140.

9. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

Had a 90 for a short time before receiving my 180.Quite underwhelming piece of equipment IMO.

10. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Left field option, I’ve got a 150X available (if couriers are still collecting). Very good amp with bags of power.

Are you keeping the Nait once you have a power amp sorted for the 72?

Bob Edwards likes this.
  11. MJS

Sorry, I took it as given that a NAP140 is the amp to aim for, but other shoebox amps are available!

12. PerF

PerF Member

On the right speakers the 90 is certainly not bad.
    Not far from poweramp section in a Nait 2

13. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

Not bad but not really good either.

14. PerF

PerF Member

If OP allready have a seperate PSU, then a Nap 100 is another option.

Nap 110/140 is excellent but at least two decades old, they will most likely require a service.

15. say it as it is

well I was going for the shoebox look but if I ever get the CD3 working a full size case would match ok, nothing against CB models they look retro cool but would annoy me having olive and CB haha.
    The 150x now I have considered that as they are more of them available but don't know has anyone mixed olive and black and I olive and CB work well but was there not a difference in sound when the black stuff came in?

16. MJS

It is the power amp section from the Nait2 :cool:

Snufkin likes this.
  17. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Plenty of folk mix olive and black Naim. I’ve done so myself with excellent results. My 150X is below, it used to belong to lencotweaker and PerF on here, so of great provenance. Would consider a swap etc if you are planning to move the Nait on.

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/naim-cd5-flatcap-2-112x-150x.237348/

18. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

That’s what I find hilarious, people laude the Nait 2 as one of the greatest amps ever made... but jump all over the NAP 90.

PerF likes this.
  19. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

People say the Nait 2 sounds better than the separates equivalent, presumably a NAC 32/NAP 90. Why? (Or how).

20. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

It doesn’t make much sense, you could argue for shorter signal paths, but that’s a stretch.

The Nait is a nice little amp, but I’ve always thought the entry level Naim separates were at least as good.