1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Neat Motive SX2 Floorstanding Speaker

Discussion in 'audio' started by samz, Sep 21, 2015.

1. samz

samz pfm Member

I would be interested to hear from anyone that has owned these speakers or demoed them against other speakers of a similar price range.
    I haven't seen any used for sale one here, that might be a good thing as people may think they are keepers.
    How easy are they to drive, do they need a lot of free space, do they produce good scale and accurate bass without sounding boomy. How well do they produce higher frequencies.
    I have heard that they provide a warmer sound than the likes of the Kudos X2. That may be to my liking but I guess a demo would be the essential.
    They are of the leaning backwards design, I'm not sure what that is supposed to add to the sound either.

Thanks again.

2. Ginger

Ginger pfm Member

You must be feeling unloved with no replies! Can't help you but I'm a Motive 3 user. Auditioned several speakers before buying and that's what I'm sure most of us here would recommend you do. One mans meat and all that. Several highly regarded speakers just didn't do it for me but the moment the 3's went on I was hooked. I knew what I was hoping for and they delivered. They've got better with improved amps as well-easily noticeable. I'd think you'd want no more than a medium size room for SX2's. Can't get an audition and some comparators?

3. samz

samz pfm Member

I did hear some Neat speakers in a hifi show but will get a proper demo of the SX2 at some point. Do they have a house sound which is shared between the entire range ?

4. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

I have the previous model Motive 2s in my second system. Was thinking about starting a thread on Neat speakers, they seem curiously underrated on pfm.

I think they're really good, and would think about moving up to the Momentums if money ever permits. Full, energetic sound. They're not as neutral nor as detailed as my SF Minimas, but they're just as engaging.

Heavily underrated on pfm, in my opinion.

5. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

Don't know much about the Motive 2SX. I ran Motive 2SEs for several years driven by a NAC52/NAP250 combo and really enjoyed them. They are fast, detailed, produce a surprisingly good sound stage and a prodigious quantity of controlled musical bass for such a small speaker. My only reservation is the downward firing bass port. If you have a suspended wooden floor they are likely to sound a bit flabby.

6. Igloo Audio

Igloo Audio Registered User

This is a very good speaker. Buy with confidence!

The Motive SX1 is my favourite and the Momentum SX5i is a superb speaker.

Peter

7. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

I've got the Motive 2's with my Cyrus 8DAC/PSX-R set-up and they're superb!

I got them 2nd hand, dirt cheap and wondered myself whether the SX2's are a worthy upgrade...

Had a pair home with me to demo a good while back; played the same music/tracks, had the speakers in the same positions and played at the same loudness...

The Motive 2's won outright and even my wife agreed. The SX2's are nice, but they don;t have the scale/authority/depth/punch that the 2's have, nor do they seems to 'flow' as much...

Odd really as they look/feel exactly the same!

8. Igloo Audio

Were they new and sent in by a dealer?

That does sound a little odd tbh., but I did react to the previous SE2 in the same way and immediately decided it was inferior to the 2, and therefore never recommended.

Peter

9. hifilover1979

Yes; from a dealer, but weren't 'brand new', they'd had around 100-150 hours through them... Made it a fairer test then as mine have been well run-in!

In all honesty, it's like the SX2's weren't as well made, didn't feel as weighty...

All a bit odd really!

10. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

That's interesting. I was wondering about upgrading my Motive 2s, which I also got dirt cheap, to SX2s as apparently the tweeter is better. The tweeter on the 2s is reputed to become a little shouty at high volume, though I've not noticed it at the volumes I use.

The 2s are lovely small floor standers.

11. Darkagesound

Darkagesound pfm Member

I've listened to Motive 2 on a few occasions at dealers and shows and always enjoyed them. I did a direct comparison between SE2 and Kudos X2 when looking for new speakers and ultimately went for the Kudos on the basis of a slightly sweeter treble and a preference for the aesthetics of the Kudos X2 (I didn't like the square treble surround next to the round base driver of the SE2, and like the plinth making a fixed boundary for the port on the X2). I heard the SX2 earlier this year and they sounded very good, though I had nothing to directly compare them with.

12. Ginger

Ginger pfm Member

I've read similar reports about the tweeter on the little 3 but I'm just not hearing the same thing. To be honest, I'm really not sure what I'd replace these with (they'd still have to be small standmounts coz they're my fave) not that I want to replace them and can't see me doing so for a very long time. As I said before, improvements elsewhere are immediately obvious and they've really responded to my amp changes. In fact I'm as happy as the proverbial pig in wotsit.

13. Igloo Audio

I once hooked-up the Motive 1's with a DAD AX24 AD-DA pro-audio converter, Tom Evans Vibe/Pulse 2 preamp and Tom Evans Linear A amplifiers, and although this is total overkill in terms of front-end spend, it did sound astonishing and performed like a race-tuned Mini Cooper.

Peter

14. hifilover1979

Christ... I've had my Motive 2's up at daft volumes (more so when they were bi-amped with my old Arcam Alpha 10/10P set-up) and they never got shouty...

In fact I think they used to lap up the power and spit it out with vengeance!

Even with the likes of SOAD, Metallica, Pink Floyd and very bass-heavy music via Kraftwerk, Mount Kimbie, Massive Attack etc... They just wanted more!

God I miss them days of a detached house and being able to see how far I dare push the volume knob :D

15. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

Another Motive 2 lover here too. I've been using a pair on a second system for a while now & I think they're terrific little speakers. They'll go impressively loud if required yet are very content to tick along at low volume. Yes, Neats are much underrated!

16. Conster

Conster pfm Member

I noticed that when I tried the SX1. Apparently decoupling can help