1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New Boiler

Discussion in 'off topic' started by cutting42, Mar 16, 2020.

1. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

Hi pfm massive

I know there are a few heating engineers on here so thought I would ask about getting a new boiler.

The existing boiler is a Potterton Kingfisher circa 1998 still working and safe but in the words of the British Gas engineer at its service visit yesterday "derated" to a lower efficiency level. Spare parts are also limited so I was wondering whether to pre-emptively replace it. The only other complication being it is a floor-mounted unit (with associated plumbing) whereas I was told all new boilers are wall mounted.

What are folks experiences of current boiler makes and recommendations? We run a Megaflo cylinder but not a full pressurised system due to old pipework. Also BG are very keen to come and quote for a new boiler, are they OK or to be avoided?

TIA

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

BG will supply and fit a perfectly good boiler at about twice the price of an indeendent Gas Safe technician.

It takes a VERY long time for gas savings to pay for a new install. If the old one is done then it's obviously worthwhile, but while it still runs it's worth hanging on IMO.

sean99, Mike Reed, narabdela and 4 others like this.
  3. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

BG are to be avoided unless you want to pay 3 times the price , their prices are extortionate . will you need new pipework as well ? BG will always tell you you need a new boiler !!!

cutting42 likes this.
  4. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

BG are about the least cheap supplier for anything and everything.

Do the sums around efficiency improvement and costs of a new boiler. I would suggest that running the old one until it dies makes most sense.

narabdela, Bob McC and cutting42 like this.
  5. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

agreed , one thing i like about vaillant when they service our boiler [2001] is that they can keep it going . I like this brand for their superb customer service . got a vaillant fiited in November to a property with a 7 year warrenty i think

6. cutting42

If their comment about wall mounted vs floor mount is accurate then new piping will be inevitable.

To Steve's comments I am tempted to investigate support for the Kingfisher and not take BG word that spares are limited.

7. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Don't even think about replacing the boiler, they are absolutely bullet proof!

hifinutt and cutting42 like this.
  8. cutting42

Thank you , reassuring words indeed!

twotone likes this.
  9. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Spares are available and will be for the foreseeable future that boiler only has a thermostat, gas valve & thermocouple (£5) and a cast iron heat exchanger that weighs a ton and obviously a flue but if it's a balanced flue model it will be fine however if it's an open flued model then the flue is external to the boiler and can be replaced if required, the balanced flue is bit more tricky and will probably mean you would have to replace the boiler if it goes cause the flue will be the cost of a new boiler and you have to remove the boiler to fit the new flue.

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I've lived in my house for 5 years now, the boiler has been a bit iffy the whole time, with the servicing tech sucking his teeth every visit. However it still runs, it still works in spite of having water damage to a PCB, and I'm told that the replacements only have a service life of 10-15 years. On that basis if I'd renewed it when the engineer first started sucking his teeth I'd be 4 years into a new one and about 1/3 or 1/4 through its normal life. I'll keep the ~£2k replacement budget in my pocket, if it hands me a £100 repair every couple of years then I can cover it.

twotone likes this.
  11. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I have a boiler from when the house was built in 1974.
    Every year I get it serviced by B Gas and every year the engineer says we wouldn’t be able to get parts, it is inefficient compared to a new one, etc. Then after doing very little beyond a clean as far as I can see say it is working fine.
    They also, off the record, say keep it going until it dies.

Snufkin likes this.
  12. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

Mine's 13 years old and not serviced for 5 years. The main PCB went at the weekend so that, a new seal kit and full service is about £400 - not using a BG engineer.

13. cutting42

How do I know which one I have?

14. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Your's will likely be a combination boiler or a low water content boiler ie fan flued etc the OP's boiler is right out of the ark and never ever breaks down the odd thermocouple aside.

I look after two of those boilers and change the thermocouples ever year at the service, I've been going to one of them for about 20 years and the other one for at least ten years and none of the two of them have ever broken down in that time.

Roger Adams and Snufkin like this.
  15. twotone

twotone pfm Member

misterdog and cutting42 like this.
  16. cutting42

Mine is a Kingfisher MF with open flue horizontally out the back (no big square box)

17. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I have a new Worcester Bosch floor mounted to replace an old Ideal jobby - so not true about wall mounting. The trick though is where is the inlet air coming from?

In my case the old boiler got air from the room, there was an outside vent giving some fresh air. Not OK for new boiler. So the new one had a nifty solution - a co-axial chimney liner, going up through 4 floors to the roof. The old boiler exhaust was this way - I had to drop a new co-axial twinflue down instead. All with a kit supplied by Worcester Bosch. Mind you, the chimney works probably cost more than the boiler! Also - the old boiler kicked out spare heat that warmed the room it was in - so we use that room to dry clothes. But the new boiler runs cool so we paradoxically we have had to install a new radiator just by the boiler! It is much quieter too - helpful as my man cave/office/listening room is next door.

We have a Megaflow water as well. DO NOT USE BG for a new boiler. Ask for local reliable outfit. Worcester will come with a 5 year warranty.

twotone and cutting42 like this.
  18. DavidS

DavidS pfm Member

Are there any non gas options.

19. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Oil fired
    Biomass
    Electric

20. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

and worcester will give up to a 10 year warrenty if you use an accredited installer i think