1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New Boiler

Discussion in 'off topic' started by cutting42, Mar 16, 2020.

1. twotone

twotone pfm Member

That's the fan flue variant still a great boiler though not as bullet proof as the BF & CF variants simply because they have virtually no parts whereas yours has a fan and PCB/ignition control but the same cast iron heat exchanger and all of the parts are still available there maybe some non essential parts obsolete ie screws and usually the thermostat but there's alternatives or second hand/refurbished parts readily available on Ebay.

Potterton Kingfisher MF CF 60

cutting42 likes this.
  2. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Twelve years now if you fit the filter.

hifinutt likes this.
  3. twotone

twotone pfm Member

There are electric combis and electric boilers but to be perfectly honest you would be as well installing electric convention heaters in each room and a hot water cylinder with an immersion heater for the hot water (if you have the room/existing tank/cylinder.

4. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And how long is gas central heating going to be good for? The latest budget introduces disincentives for businesses to use gas. Domestic is exempt for now, but for how long?

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Exactly. Like Bob C, our wall-mounted Potterton was installed by previous owners in the eighties. Sure it's inefficient and it'll need to be changed sometime; I just hope that is in a warmer season!. Your floor-mounted one (with cast-iron heat exchanger) is possibly more robust than a wall-mount, provided it hasn't been run a close to full capacity all those years.

6. DavidS

DavidS pfm Member

Yes looked into electric but running costs are prohibitive.

Biomass looks interesting.

7. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Air source heat pumps are a bit less expensive now and are comparable with gas boilers in terms of efficiency and running costs however they're really only suitable for well insulated houses and houses with big open spaces.

8. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

Oh, it's had a workout for sure, big house and daughter and wife who like it warm and plenty of baths and showers. It is having a rest with rugrats at uni but looks like they are coming back for a while (Covid19) and we may have gained an extra (Sons Girlfriend) so back on it i'd say.

9. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

The only issue with waiting for your boiler to die is you have be prepared be without heating and hot water at any time of the year. Our boiler sprung a leak 6 months before we put the house on the market. Luckily we were able to keep it going for a couple of days while a replacement was organised.

Consider it starting to leak on Christmas Eve! You need to be able to cope without the boiler for a period, especially if it is not a straight forward replacement.

Ellenor and cutting42 like this.
  10. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Believe me the OP's boiler won't die or leak, the heat exchanger has more cast iron than a Sherman tank anyway leaking cast iron boilers are manageable unless the boiler is in an upstairs part of the house which I would doubt given the boiler.

hifinutt likes this.
  11. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

Certainly surprised when my boiler started leaking. The leak must have been a faulty weld in the outer shell, but after 20 years there is no comeback. I assume that the heat cycling had exposed a weak point.

12. twotone

twotone pfm Member

What normally goes with cast iron heat exchanger boilers is the seals which can allow carbon monoxide to enter the room/property, they rarely leak water, these things are from another age they're like old rover 3500 cars and such like.

13. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Our old Ideal unit was leaking water from the heat exchanger when it went cold, thermal contraction. I had been mystified on losing pressure for ages. Lucky we found the issue just before we were to spend a shed load on new flooring.

Air sourced heat pumps can seem efficient but work best in low temp water applications - meaning underfloor heating is more suitable.

Biomass ...careful - most of the fuel is imported from Canada!

twotone likes this.
  14. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

No it is in the utility room off the kitchen

twotone likes this.
  15. Ellenor

Ellenor pfm Member

Kingfisher MF is ok and all working spares are available as far as i'm aware. It could go on for years.

For anyone else thinking that they'll wait till their boiler goes wrong, that's great if you're sure it's going to pack up in the summer but what if it's at a cold time of year when all the good engineers are busy? You might not end up with the level of quality installation you'd like. I've turned down a few over this winter that have packed up after me warning the customers and they've had to get other engineers that were available right away. They had no choice. Big big skill shortage in this country.

Serviced a Worcester Highflow last week, pump on it's last legs. Customer said they'd wait till it packs up. It packed up today, i can't get back there till Thursday. If they'd listened it would have been replaced before it failed.

To anyone using British Gas, ditch them and find a local engineer with a good reputation and trust everything he/she tells you.

narabdela, hifinutt and twotone like this.
  16. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

I was lucky - I managed to get the guy I used before out today. The main board was replaced and he's coming back to fit a seal kit and give a general service. You are spot on about the type of boiler. An old Evo HE which has been trouble free for so long. I have some hot water now which is very helpful at this time. Total cost for the board, kit, fitting and a full service is £420 which seems a good option given the cost of a new unit.

twotone likes this.
  17. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

if mine goes in winter I have a gas fire and an immersion heater.

18. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

My boiler was oil fired which I understand is very different from modern gas boilers.

19. cjyosemite

cjyosemite pfm Member

We are half-way through installing a Worcester Bosch to replace a 30 year old Baxi which still works but noisy at times. Decided to stick with the same format with an electric immersion heater back up in case of break down. We are also having radiator controls installed & replacing two radiators in the lounge with bigger versions to avoid having to use the gas fire, which we have done quite a bit this winter. Job being done by a local plumber & they worked very hard on first day, aiming to finish tomorrow. Cost is about what we were quoted by BG 15+ years ago with more facilities than their quote. One of installers said gas bill will be halved which I think is overstating it - but our electric bill is more than the gas.

Decided to do it now as likely that new gas boilers are likely to be discontinued in the not too distant future.

20. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Just a big metal box with a burner shoved up it's arris, not that much different except that oil boilers soot up for fun.