1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New Boiler

Discussion in 'off topic' started by cutting42, Mar 16, 2020.

1. twotone

twotone pfm Member

I'd be very surprised if your gas bills are halved, best case would be about 25% but that's a pure guess, the installer should be doing a fully pumped install which is either two motorised valves, pump, room and cylinder stat and programmer or a mid position valve (three port motorised valve) but you might have all that in which case the savings will be minimal ie buttons or if you don't have all of that above then about 25% saving but the cost of the install will have to increase.

2. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

A wise choice to buy the best, in my opinion, boilers on the market. Ensure you fit the Worcester filter, flush the system with Fernox or another approved brand and refill with anti corrosive Fernox or another approved brand, and have it serviced every year to validate your warranty. These boilers are so efficient now that you can hold your hand at the exhaust flue and the gasses are lukewarm. The condenser waste pipe is removed and emptied of waste during the service or it becomes blocked, after a few years. A tank is a relic from the past and inefficient; the best place for it is in the bin.

3. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

yes , 4 months ago replaced an almost new worcester bosch boiler because they had the old type with a 60 year old immersion tank and cold water tanks . much better now its out and more room where that old copper tank was . [ valliant replacement ]

4. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

i fitted a Vaillant turbomax boilers in my house and a rental. Both had a couple of replacement diverter valves fitted in the 10 years i had them. I would have thought they would have had the problem sorted but my nabour mentioned hers was four years old and has just had a second diverter valve changed under warranty.

In contrast my dads 24cdi is about 18 years old no problems, i scrapped a rentral 24cdi at 12 years old instead of fitting a new valve, the one in my house 37cdi no problems (i thought it had a problem but it was a blocked condenser pipe which is a maintenance problem, at the same time the noisey fan was changed because i was offered a cheap replacement0. I have two others in rentals about 6 years old they have had no problems).

5. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

We noticed a big drop in gas bills when we changed from a glow worm balanced flue boiler (about 25 years ago) where the outlet vent was too hot to touch, to a combi boiler.

6. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Aye you would have because you were doing away with a hot water tank so about 25% fuel saving PA or thereabouts but a fully pumped heating system with a modern SE or HE boiler and an insulated cylinder or an unvented cylinder is just as efficient as an SE combi or HE combi boiler.

7. Ellenor

Ellenor pfm Member

Many people in the trade have different views regarding the best. Vaillant or in my case Viessmann are miles ahead.

8. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Have to say that the new WB Life 8000 combis are excellent as is the CDis.

9. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Have not quite recovered from being told a wb engineer would be out in 6 days to do a non urgent repair. I find valliant faster and better service .

10. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Must be where you live, I've recommenced WB FPRs (Fixed Price repairs) to some customers in the past month and WB had engineers out within hours.

They used to quote 72 hours, depending on demand/time of year for warranty calls but they prioritise for the elderly, the infirm and people with babies especially if they've no heating or hot water.

11. cjyosemite

cjyosemite pfm Member

Our new Worcester system was completed on the second day & immediate benefit in level of heating in lounge with 2 bigger radiators. Getting used to the more advanced control system. The thermostats on the radiators give total contrlol over the temperature in each room. Very pleased with the initial results & looking forward to seeing how much reduction in gas consumption we get although we will not get a full picture until next winter.

twotone likes this.
  12. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

Have you had to call out Vaillant during a national healthcare crisis?

twotone likes this.
  13. Ellenor

Ellenor pfm Member

I’ll reconsider my view when they ditch the dreaded aluminium heat exchangers.

14. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

no , i should think they are all struggling though now !!

15. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

I am finding the thought of an electric boiler very attractive. We only use gas for heating (5 radiators) and hot water. Still more expensive than gas though.....

16. twotone

twotone pfm Member

There's no way on God's green earth that I would install or recommend Veismenn boilers mate, the tech line is shockingly bad, nearly as bad as Valliant's and the parts prices, if you can source them, are astronomical.

I have looked after about a dozen WB Cdi combis since about 2008/9 when I installed them and the reliability of all those boilers has been pretty impressive however in saying that I installed a Sabre 35 HE combi in my own house back in May 2006 and frankly it's been unbelievably reliable. I paid £535 for it at the time and it has no right whatsoever to have lasted this long with very little issues (I replaced the ignition PCB about four years ago) having said that it will probably go toes up now:D

17. twotone

twotone pfm Member

I wouldn't bother if I were you electric boilers are shite.

18. Ellenor

Ellenor pfm Member

No offence but i can't take anyone who fits a Sabre 35kw combi in their own house very seriously;)
    Got a fully weather comp Vitodens 300 system boiler in my house along with 300l Vitocell cylinder and Vitosol solar. 13 yrs old and still 13 yrs ahead of anything Worcester manufacture.
    Have you called Viessmann Tech recently? I have a couple of times and they always pick right up and if that was ever an issue i have a good relationship with the rep.
    Regarding parts, try Plumbase. I have decent terms and yes the prices aren't the cheapest but they're not that bad.
    As an approved trained installer i get 5 yr warranty as standard but can upgrade to 10 yrs for £120, no massive range of models covering different warranty periods like Baxi.

Oh and they're upgrading the 100 range to have lambda pro later this summer. It won't have as good a modulation as the 200 but it will still be better than anything else out there.

19. twotone

twotone pfm Member

<<<Load of gratuitous advertising snipped>>>

I could say the same of someone recommending an obscure boiler brand that even BG won't repair and that hardly anyone will install, with their extortionate part prices PCBs at £450 a for example and their dodgy jammy flaps, if you can source the parts that is, plus the cost of those boilers to buy but I would never be so rude:)

20. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Ours works well in the summer, off peak boost then wind / solar from an Immersun makes cheap hot water