1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New Boiler

Discussion in 'off topic' started by cutting42, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

The world’s going to hell in a handcart and this thread reduces to “My dad’s bigger than your dad.”

2. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

As you say there are plenty of decent boilers with cheap parts so why buy obscure makes?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    twotone likes this.
  3. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

You will not be saying that when your boiler stops working.

4. Ellenor

Ellenor pfm Member

Lots of false info you’re dishing out and you know it. You’re at least ten years in the past and even further with your personal choice of boiler.

5. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Can any of you guys advise on solving the annoying problem that I'm currently having with my combi?

It has the classic 'hot water only working when the heating is on'. Boiler is a 12 year old Biasi Garda HE28 (I know, cheap rubbish from B&Q)

I replaced the diaphragm, and that didn't cure it. I then removed the diverter valve, cleaned it out and fitted a new spool/spring/ seal kit. That didn't fix it either. I then replaced the HW heat exchanger with a genuine Zilmet item- still not fixed :-(

So, looking at the diaphragm and the microswitch I can see that in CH mode the plunger immediately actuates the microswitch, but in HW mode the plunger moves more slowly and doesn't push the switch all the way. I swapped back to the original diaphragm and gland, as the diaphragm was thinner and the tolerance on the gland allowed a tighter fit to the microswitch. The plunger moves more quickly, but the problem still remains.

Might a new microswitch do the job?
    Is the newly rebuilt diverter valve leaking internally?
    Any suggestions

This is getting a bit silly now, but hey, I'm stuck at home with not a lot to do

6. Ellenor

Ellenor pfm Member

Sounds like something is blocked. Was it very dirty internally? Was the service kit you fitted a genuine part?

7. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Thanks Ellenor,

Everything inside was black, but not terribly caked. The blocked flow idea was my reason for swapping out the HW exchanger to a genuine new item.

I cleared out the small hole that allows the diaphram to move and put the original plunger/ diaphram & gland back - the ebay kit items were not quite the same (thicker diaphragm & loose tol. on the gland)

Could it be air trapped inside the diaphram housing? - I ask, as I can't see how it would easily get out without specifically purging it on install.

All works perfectly when everything is hot.

I don't expect the spool valve rebuild kit was genuine - if it's the same as the diaphragm kit(s) then this might well be the problem.

There are a lot of terrible quality spare parts out there (MX5 rocker cover gasket, etc).

8. Bart

Bart pfm Member

We had a Vailant Eco-something condenser boiler fitted about 6 years ago. Straight replacement for some Italian clapped out job that came with the house. No trouble so far, had a 7 year guarantee at the time, may be different now. Seems to be a good buy.

9. Ellenor

Ellenor pfm Member

It’s possible the new kit you fitted doesn’t measure up the same as the original, spindle lengths etc. An example I can think of is a non genuine hot water diaphragm I fitted on a very old Worcester (just to keep it going for a few months) and the microswitch wasn’t quite making contact. Took me a full hour to figure out the new part was at fault and made some design alterations to make it work. Sometimes it’s just as well to take the whole valve out to work on it and see exactly what it’s doing.
    I take it this is one of the boilers with a hot water flow sensor and motorised diverter valve?

One other thought, is the pump working well? If it’s weak it’s possible you could have this problem

10. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Thanks again Ellenor.

Variation in diaphragm kit parts is rife. I'm now also suspicious of the spool valve rebuild kit.

Yep, HW flow sensor and motorised diverter.

How can I tell if the pump is working well? It certainly works, but I don't know how efficient it is.

11. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Easy enough to take a look at the pump impeller..

12. Ellenor

Ellenor pfm Member

If it’s a Wilo pump or a Grundfos even you take the plug out of the end when it’s running (get a rag under it to catch the water) and stick a screwdriver in there. If you can easily stop the pump it’s weak

13. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

It's a Wilo. Won't the above result in the contents of the primary circuit shooting out of the hole at 1.5 bar?

Good helpful advice :)

14. Ellenor

Ellenor pfm Member

No but it will dribble out at a bit of a rate. Don’t drop the screw:D

15. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

Well ironically given the advice to hang onto it, the boiler has failed. Well one element of it has failed, a motor or something given the noise coming from it. No hot water or heating, lovely.

Still, the nice folks at BG are coming out tomorrow to fix it. which wasn't a bad response given the circumstances.

16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

What's the betting that BG suck their teeth and say "Ooh, well, y'see with these old boilers...hard to get the parts...it's often more cost effective to renew them..."?

17. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

about 100 % likely and no doubt supplies being hard to come by due to covid will feature !

18. cutting42

And we are back at post one.

However I do kind of have a get out of jail free card in that I had agreed to them coming round to assess it for replacement but they cancelled the appointment due to restricting their activities to emergency work only. I can't wait.

19. cutting42

Well against all odds, the lovely BG man diagnosed the fan as FUBAR'd, he had a buddy in another BG van 5 mins away with the correct spare and 1hr after arriving we have a lovely working silent boiler again. We can shower again thank goodness.

hifinutt likes this.
  20. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

vaillant boiler packed up over weekend , no hot water , rang them at 0900 , took 2 mins to get through , engineer coming 10.30 ish .. how`s that for service !!

engineer attended , fixed within 2 hours of phone call ....

wow&flutter and cutting42 like this.