1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New Classical purchases

Discussion in 'classical' started by eisenach, Feb 27, 2015.

1. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Alan, got your festival tickets sorted this year? Some very good stuff coming!

2. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

^Hmmm. I'm being a grumpy sod about the festival.

Firstly the website is nearly as bad a disaster as it was last year.
    Secondly, everytime I book festival tickets, there is a family crisis and I don't get to go.
    Lastly, there's nothing in the programme that really looks interesting apart from MacMillan's new percussion concerto. The rest of it is all very predictable same old, same old.

3. herb

herb music live

Conlon Nancarrow player piano box

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nancarrow-S...UTF8&qid=1431774908&sr=1-2&keywords=nancarrow

Erm, what can I say?

I think that the Edinburgh Festival is far too conservative this year, I hope that the new director, Mr Linehan, gets a bit experimental next year. Hint, this would be a cheap show in the Queen's Hall. The Hub? I see that funding has been frozen for a few years at £4.7 million.

4. binsey

binsey pfm Member

A CD replacement of my much loved vinyl copy of Handel's Water Musick conducted by Nicholas McGegan on Harmonia Mundi USA recorded by Peter McGrath.

5. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

Martha Argerich & Friends' latest Live from Lugano (2014) as recommended on CD Review last week. An absolute delight as always: old favorites plus new (to me, anyway) pieces to expand one's horizons, and I haven't got as far as cds 2 & 3 yet.

6. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

7. herb

herb music live

8. herb

herb music live

9. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

I tend to agree. Most visitors are 40+ and don't like this cheap-looking animation stuff.

What I further don't understand is that there is a Lucerne Festival, an Easter Lucerne Festival, and a Piano Festival. You have to subscribe to all three newsletters on order to keep informed, the result is an avalanche of e-mails.

BUT the venue is first-rate just like the artists.

10. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Opened the Muti, Chicago live Prokofiev Romeo & Juliet. Not a great recording- the strings are an amorphous lump, winds and percussion fair better. Good reading of the score but not as good as his Philadelphia from decades ago. That recording woke me up to this work.

11. herb

herb music live

12. herb

herb music live

13. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Not really surprising.

14. gustavm

gustavm pfm Member

You can blame that on Schubert - his 7th is even more unfinished than the Unfinished (no 8)

15. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Depends how you look at it <grin>. The 7th was fully 'written', but not orchestrated, the unfinished has two movements missing completely.

A score draw perhaps?

16. herb

herb music live

Oh no, it's as bad as Bruckner 0 and Mahler 10 then? Thanks, I must do some research, the booklet is rather confusing - Schubert is new to me,

17. adamdea

adamdea You are not a sound quality evaluation device

18. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

19. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SN6G7VO
    I really enjoyed this, good performance of the overshadowed 2nd symphony, and the Cello concerto performance was R3 Building a Library top choice. But the Improvisation on a theme by Benjamin Britten is completely new to me - its a superb mini-symphony.
    Performance are excellent and the recordings are sumptuous.

20. herb

herb music live