1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New Classical purchases

Discussion in 'classical' started by eisenach, Feb 27, 2015.

1. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

2. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Apparently, I'll be receiving The Glass Effect by Lavinia Meijer within a day or two. Having heard some of it already I'm looking forward to adding to my collection as Meijer plays Glass rather well.

[​IMG]

3. BrianPK

BrianPK pfm Member

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  4. FrankF

FrankF pfm Member

I have been enjoying this for a month now. Until now I had dismissed Glass's music as contemporary classical (or whatever it's properly labelled) which I generally don't like but I found this album to be quite good. Simple but highly enjoyable. I'm ready to cautiously explore more of his music.

5. FrankF

FrankF pfm Member

BrianPK - thanks for pointing this out. I love Avison's works after Scarlatti so adding this Geniniani to my list is a no brainer.

6. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Yeah, some of Glass' music is hard to enjoy but thankfully, Meijer brings it to life in a way that's far easier on the ears.

7. BrianPK

BrianPK pfm Member

If you don’t already have it,consider buying this double cd of Avison’s own concertos to exprience this outstanding Naxos recording.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charles-Av...8&qid=1549937466&sr=1-1&keywords=Avison+naxos
    A second double cd of more of his concertos was also released by Naxos.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charles-Av...8&qid=1549937466&sr=1-2&keywords=Avison+naxos
    Also well worth considering.

H’mm...I’ve just spotted a few cds by a pupil of Avison called John Garth from Durham. I’m not at all familiar with him but the reviewers in Amazon seem to be delighted with his music.Another one to look into.:)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garth-Conc...H1XBE6B3DT9&psc=1&refRID=3TSJSDZCYH1XBE6B3DT9

8. kimmiles

kimmiles pfm Member

The presentation box of the Berlin Phil/Rattle Mahler 6; his first performance with the BPO and the last + a blu-ray
    Truly a thing of wonder and beauty......and that's just the box!
    I have grown to love the 6th and these are two wonderful performances!
    Actually bought from Presto Classical - cheaper than any option on Amazon!

I bought the BPO/Rattle/Uchida Beethoven Piano Concertos presentation box (same format as above) as a Christmas treat a month ago and that is also a joyous interpretation (2 lovely sets, both from Presto!)

Also bought the Harmonia Mundi Debussy 3 sonatas and late works: fabulous!

(sorry: not sure how to paste in the Presto link)