1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New House

Discussion in 'music' started by darrell_giant, May 12, 2015.

1. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Indeed, though the caveat here is that I still have to burn CD's (since no USB option). Not really an issue from a cost perspective but they're still plastic, albeit unlikely to be discarded unless faulty.

I have around 1,500 records now. I cleared out thousands in job lots years ago before I moved house. Stuff that I deemed I would not play again; luckily I don't miss any of them (not re-purchased a single one). So whilst the quantity went down, the quality went up. I would say about two thirds of these are records I would play in a DJ set. I contemplated burning them onto CD but it's pointless and time consuming. I'll just play the record if I want to - and this gives me the added benefit of multi source (eg. 3 or even 4 deck) mixing again. I used to play on three decks all the time but as I have got older my approach has changed and I don't feel the need to be so frenetic, but having the option to switch between formats is great.

I didn't either until I picked these up. If you can mix a record on a turntable then you can use CDJ's - simple as that. It's easier.

:D

Any self respecting DJ would say the same.

In reality, though - what is perfection? Mixing music together with no apparent beginning or end point? To the extent that there's almost no discernible human element? As time has progressed my focus on the technical aspect of DJ'ing has lessened whilst the focus on the music has increased. I truly believe that this is the way it should be but I didn't always think that way and I can only attribute this shift to becoming more mature in the approach to the whole thing. Do I still agonise over some heavy handed transitions, bad mixes and poor programming? Absolutely I do - but these things are never, ever an issue when it comes to listening to other DJ's, which makes me think that human error is not really worth paying a great deal of attention to, expecially your own. Just get on with it. Incidentally, some of the absolute worst trainwrecks and mixing gone wrong I've heard were listening to Jeff Mills. Yet for me, nobody has ever come close to him in terms of DJ prowess; he is, in my view, the greatest DJ in history. I don't care about his mistakes. And apparently, neither does he.
    (full, fantastic interview here: https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3436)

Sorry for going on and on. I am finding the discussion very stimulating - if anyone else wants to join in then please do so. DJ'ing is an artform; like playing the guitar. It should be discussed more. Cheers.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. darrell_giant

darrell_giant pfm Member

Agree re. Mills. The mistakes don't matter because in the next 30 seconds he blows you away again. Derrick May had a similar style of chucking it in and fighting it in the mix 'til it comes good. Its an exciting style and feels alive. Best I've heard recently was Delano Smith, nothing fancy, just tight short mixes with superb programming. The music really spoke and we were lost to it. Claude Young on the other hand, on all the times I have heard him play was so frustrating; technically fantastic, just amazing skills, but too cut up and choppy loosing flow and groove. Great to watch, less good to dance to.

farfromthesun likes this.
  3. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

I won't talk anymore about Jeff, there's simply no need.

Derrick May - completely different DJ but sensibilities the same. I would argue that there was a really aggressive edge to his DJ sets, and you frame it very nicely - "fighting in the mix" - though there's no doubt he was always in total control. Another from Detroit who is completely inimitable. Funnily enough, there was a recent Boiler Room (not a huge fan) that was really, really good. You can't help but be sucked in by it.

I hear what you're saying about Claude Young, but boy did he have some skills, and of all the DJ's I had the pleasure of meeting, he was one of the friendliest and most down to earth.

I actually had an amazing experience at a Lost party in the late 90's courtesy of him, which I recounted on Twitter late last year. Yes, it involved a turntable trick - the upside down / play the record backwards thing - but that was only really a small part of the story.

https://twitter.com/farfromthesun/status/1060994303458189314

Nick_G likes this.
  4. darrell_giant

darrell_giant pfm Member

That's a great story but steady on there. First I have to consider digital formats, then I get taken to a place called Twitter. Where will it end? Next I'll be considering using the 'like' button for the first time and possibly even emojis. My children won't know me. I won't know me.

Seriously though, great story.

farfromthesun likes this.
  5. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

haha, sorry - baby steps! Let's sort out the digital music thing before we move onto social media. :)

6. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

What a great Claude Young story Darrell.

Better do an update, and I'll start with this fantastic mix by Helena Hauff & Morah, which is mostly electro:

Helena Hauff side by side Morah

If anyone knows what the track is between about 9 and 13 minutes is, I'd be very grateful. It's ace!

As for the rest, here goes:

Westcoast Goddess - Truth Rainbow - always a sense of unbridled joy with this producer

#130E0A - Nymphea

E L O N - Pneumania

606000 - selection

Vitling - Mangroves

Eli Cash - Raised Feeling

John Daly - What If?

The Steams - Perfect Storms From Afar (Mr. Stinson's Cretan Raving Dub) - a dubby feel with Eastern-inspired melodies

Vin Sol - Planet Trash

Jace Syntax - Basic Rhythm (John Morrison Remix) - the best mix of this track IMO

Alisú - Wake Up

Eric Copeland - 321 Contact (Lokier Remix)

Cygnus - Decent of Man

HVL - Dabal Sikhshiruli Rkheva

Lee Kelly - Forever In Doubt - breakbeat track steeped in melancholy. Gorgeous

Lakeside Culture - Forgery

DJ Overdose - What About It

M.ono - Sweetwater

Violet Poison - L'Uomo Che Sognava La Fine Del Mondo

Secret Studio - Decongestion

Sandilé - Bulla Bulla

7. darrell_giant

darrell_giant pfm Member

I have met Claude a few times Nick, but that story is not mine.

8. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

D'oh! Yes of course it was from #farfromthesun. Must learn to read properly lol.

9. darrell_giant

darrell_giant pfm Member

10. darrell_giant

darrell_giant pfm Member

First tune on this

Effective

11. darrell_giant

darrell_giant pfm Member

12. darrell_giant

darrell_giant pfm Member

13. guey

guey pfm Member

Lovely early doors swayer/shuffler from Crooked Man and Roisin Murphy

14. darrell_giant

darrell_giant pfm Member

I like that a lot. The label text made me smile too.

15. darrell_giant

darrell_giant pfm Member

16. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

17. guey

guey pfm Member

The new Emperor Machine, Function is splendid, as per

18. darrell_giant

darrell_giant pfm Member

19. darrell_giant

darrell_giant pfm Member

20. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Really feeling that Trus Me number, Darrell. Hope you're good.