1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New PC.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Mullardman, Jan 14, 2020 at 12:48 AM.

1. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

Thumbs up for Overclockers from me too. I’ve not bought a complete PC since my first, in 1993, as I’ve just updated parts as and when (the last part of that original PC went in the late ‘nineties).
    I used to keep up-to-date with CPUs etc., but nowadays I’ll go straight to Overclockers for a motherboard bundle, which comprises mobo, CPU and memory (plus whatever cooling I decide on - for the most recent package I bought I went for liquid cooling, which makes for a quieter machine when gaming).

Mick

2. CHE

CHE pfm Member

What is the real risk of Windows 7 being a problem without security updates ? After all they do tend to be reactive do they not. I ask this as I had an issue with updates not being installed on my W7 PC for about 2 years (honest) and had no problems. I have a good virus checker and internet security so shouldn't they be adequate ?

CHE

3. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

have they really? in terms of performance they might have not kept up, but that hardly matters to anyone but a gamer, computer scientist etc. For a standard home user makes no difference.

cutting42 likes this.
  4. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I have a chap who sends me invoices as latest version Word attachments and my old version of Word won’t open them.

5. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

Or you could be really bold and escape all that Windows misery and go for an Apple imac. Sure it’s loadsamoney, but their support is fantastic, especially if you’re not the most computery-minded person on the block, the screen is beautiful, and you can still run office365. We junked our windows laptops for an iMac years ago and would never go back. Before you make a move, go down to your nearest Apple shop and have a play.

https://www.apple.com/uk/imac/

6. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

Hi Mull - you have PM

Mullardman likes this.
  7. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

The risks wouldn't be so much around viruses, but around attackers using zero-day exploits to access your system.

This risk will increase over time.

One thing you might want to do, which is what I do, is to run Tinywall, which hardens up the default software firewall for Windows.

8. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Undoubtedly. Intel has had major problems with delivery of current CPUs, and trouble delivering their new chips in the 10nm process. Meanwhile Apple and AMD are delivering 7nm chips in the here and now. This matters hugely for power efficiency, and has left Intel behind in desktop, but also in high end work stations. Furthermore, there's nothing significant expected from Intel this year. Power efficiency means more cores at the same power delivery. So where Intel has been delivering quad and hexa core i3s and i5s, AMD has 4 core 8 thread and 6 core 12 thread chips at a cheaper price points. Intel is just beginning to deliver 10 nm, low power chips to the laptop builders a year or more late, which is a big market of course. That's not to say that they won't catch up again, but Intel is not a wise spend in the here and now for a desktop - Intel chips will be obsolete much more quickly. I've build both a Ryzen 5 and a Ryzen 7 system in the past few months and they're both great.

9. gintonic

even as a corporate buyer that matters not to me. I have just procured 350 i5 desktop PCs, because Intel works better for our corporate rollout and support environment. Will the PCs last the 5 years liefecycle I expect of them? "yes"...........

10. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

Agreed, our company has just purchased 2000 Lenovo i7 laptops, the importance is the support and the reliability not the absolute performance for a business machine.

11. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

That's fine. We're not talking about corporate buys, we're talking about the right choice for a retired gent on pfm. I'm happier with the lower power bills and the cheaper upfront cost thanks very much...

AndrewR likes this.
  12. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

Did you install the correct language extension? Take a look here https://extensions.libreoffice.org/extensions?getCategories=Language Tools&getCompatibility=any

Cheers,

DV

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Which model did you/they select?

14. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

What I am typing on now in fact, X1 Carbon 8th gen 8650U i7 for the most part 16gb ram, 512Gb M.2 NVMe drive and touch screen. We have a few higher spec versions for those that need them as well.

Tony L likes this.
  15. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

What's that, and how does it work?

OK. Is this something I go out and buy? If it will make W7 safe then it's a cheap fix, I like the way W7 runs.

16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

When I have tried Apple gear I've never got on with it.

AndyU likes this.
  17. gintonic

Do you mean you like the user interface? or some other aspect of the way that OS works

18. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

'TinyWall' is a shim over the built in firewall, it doesn't give you anything fundamental, so 'make W7 safe' is not a likely consequence. But then W7 isn't suddenly 'unsafe'.

If I were Mull I'd be looking at a refurbished Dell workstation, rather than a brand new collection of bits, but he would need to consider all the peripherals. Could be a good time to go dual monitor, particularly for photo editing.

FWIW if his Fujitsu is 32 bit then it doesn't have more than 4GB. IME with Windows 10, 16GB is good, unless you have special needs, 4GB is irritating and 8 is OK.

19. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

20. wylton

wylton pfm Member

I'm in a similar position myself, running a Toshiba P750 laptop. I did migrate to Windows 10, but it didn't really run very well on it TBH, so I went back to Windows 7. I don't do banking or emails on this machine, so I guess the risks would be minimal with the discontinuation of support from Microsoft. Having said that, the machine is quite old now, so is due for replacement; I wonder if a move to a Mac would be a good idea, given that I don't like Widows 10 very much?