1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New Phono Stage ?

Discussion in 'audio' started by wiresandmore, Jan 1, 2019.

1. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

Hi

Currently running an RP8 with Dynavector 20X2L into a DV P75 Mk II stage (amps are Devialet 440Pro CI).

Although in general I am very happy with the deck, the upgrade itch is here - I find the sound somewhat dull at times and not always as dynamic as I'd like.

With £750-800 or so to spend, I'm thinking about changing the phono stage - but with very limited local options to test (I live in Dublin) I'm curious what others would suggest?

Is the new Planar 8 such an upgrade I should look at that?

2. pit

pit Active Member

Hi
    My goals are heed audio and tron convergence.
    I didn’t auditioned the tron but it is rumored to be incredible and of course a tube masterpiece

3. tenpercenter

tenpercenter Don't ya rile 'em.....

DV P75mk4 - huge upgrade over earlier versions IMHE, especially with DV cartridges

4. Nagraboy

Nagraboy pfm Member

If you’re using Devialet amps can’t you use the internal phono stage it has? Have you tried that already?

5. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

No, there’s hiss on the Devialet phono stage, it’s a common issue with these amps - which is why many are using external alternatives

6. varyat

varyat pfm Member

+1 on the Tron :D

7. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

I’m surprised you find the DV stage dull as this is not a description often used to describe - somewhat ‘mechanical’ yes, but not dull.

8. matt j

matt j pfm Member

For fear of being lynched- but I always tend to find Rega TTs and arms dull, I think changing to a new P8 would just be more of the same.

Darren likes this.
  9. joe9407

joe9407 actress/activist

i'm considering one to replace my P75 mk1 (i don't have the space to add a physically larger stage, otherwise i'd be looking hard at the Tron Convergence). would you be so kind as to expand upon why you liked the new one versus the others?

10. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Unless there is a profound alteration to the circuit (an entirely different circuit in other words, not just component changes) I have never heard what I would describe as a ‘huge upgrade’ over that which existed before - more refined then yes, but, in essence, much the same.

11. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

I have listened, at length, to the Tron and rate it highly. The only thing that gives me pause for thought is how different in concept and ‘ambition’ it is to your Devialet gear. The Tron stuff really is aiming at a very different sound - no less valid (perhaps more valid/genuine), but very different to the Devialet.

12. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

How would you describe the Tron sound in comparison to the P75? Do Tron have any dealers or is it only sold direct?

13. s1h1

s1h1 performing within expectations

Have you tried a SUT?

14. tenpercenter

tenpercenter Don't ya rile 'em.....

The mk4 jut sounds more real compared to the mk2. Bigger, more refined with easier to follow bass lines that have more texture as an example. I play guitar in a band so I like to listen out for how the instruments sound like on their own merits but also as part of the whole song - the Mk4 makes it easier to do this. It’s kind of the same musical connection that an LP12 can give you (though not the last word on hifi detail etc)

Try and listen to one in your own system if you can.

wiresandmore likes this.
  15. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

Yes, but didn't think the hiss was completely resolved.

16. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

Out of interest, which t/table would you recommend then? I've been down the LP12 path before but setup, maintenance and upgrades are a real challenge here - I had to travel to England with it in the car which was far from ideal!

17. BLACKMASS

BLACKMASS pfm Member

I would add the Trilogy 906 to your list. One very happy owner here.

18. sls4321

sls4321 pfm Member

I have a Devialet 250 Expert Pro and use the phono stage extensively. It's one of the reasons I bought it. I have two arms, Koetsu Urushi on 12" OL Illustrious with OL silver cable and Ortofon 2M Mono on 12" Jelco. The sound is wonderful and no audible hiss when playing. It's better than my previous Art Audio Silver Reference that cost a fortune.

19. berty bass

berty bass pfm Member

I'd add an NVA Phono 2 to your phono stage shortlist too. I like mine a lot and thought it a significant step up from the Rega MC Fono I had before. Just about to add the second PSU to mine now.

20. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Ah, I wasn't suggesting you dump the TT. Has it always sounded a little dull/un-dynamic whilst you've owned it?