1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New Phono Stage ?

Discussion in 'audio' started by wiresandmore, Jan 1, 2019.

1. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

Yes it pretty much has. It’s a second source (Roon via Devialet AIR is the primary) so I don’t play it as much but when I do I am always struck by the same issues I described

2. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

You’re lucky then - it may be an issue with the smaller models and also harder to drive speakers- much on this on the Devialet forums btw....

3. joe9407

joe9407 actress/activist

thanks! i rang my dealer this weekend and they're getting a demo unit for me to listen to at home. i have a sneaking suspicion that it won't be going back...

4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

That’s a shame- I dont get hiss with mine. I also believe you have to spend far more than your outline budget on a phone stage to match the quality of the Devialet phono input, even s/h. How old is your cartridge? In the past I’ve found a worn-out cartridge to be an explanation for a dull sound.

5. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

The cartridge is fine I think - I will have it checked but certainly <500 hours. I unplugged the P75 over the weekend and put the Devialet MC stage with the config for the DV back into the amp. It sounds better than the P75 I think so will move that on for now. But the hiss is still there. I think it's more of an issue with the 140/210/220/440 models than with the 250/1000 models.

6. TonyScarlett

TonyScarlett pfm Member

Just thought I would add my 2 cents. I recently auditioned a p75 mk4, Vertere P1 & Trilogy 906 at Midland Audio Exchange on the end of a P8 with Ania cart, Lavardin ISX amp & Harbeth P3ESR's. I found the Trilogy to be the best to my ears. One of the test albums I took was Talk Talks The Colour of Spring, the opening track on this album features an upright bass which had more impact & sounded fuller & more "real" than the other 2 amps. The Vertere had more detail (although I didn't find the Trilogy lacking in that respect), a more analytical sound, more "hifi" if you like but it was also a bit more forward at the top end in that particular set up. The P75 was more like the Vertere sound wise but after the other 2 just sounded a little veiled in comparison (only very slightly mind).
    Incidentally while I was there I took the opportunity to compare the P6, also with Ania cart to the P8. I have to admit I struggled to hear any difference, certainly not enough to justify the £700 price difference, there was far more difference to my ears between the phono amps which suggests to me if you want to improve your set up you would be better off keeping your current TT & putting the money into the phono amp.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  7. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Thanks- these are really interesting insights. I totally agree with your point about phono stages- they can strangle everything you’ve invested in upstream. I know because I made that mistake 20 years ago and there are a lot of mediocre phono stages out there. Which raises the current problem- to get the best SQ out of vinyl that will rival today’s best digital products, you have to spend a lot of money on a cartridge, arm, TT and phono stage. I’d have to pay £13k to buy mine new today and there’s no way on earth I would do that.

8. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

Thanks, that's very helpful indeed and especially interesting to see the comments on the Rega decks - I wonder how the (presumably forthcoming) Planar 10 will sound.....

9. ross

ross pfm Member

Plus one on that, mine is excellent, and nva will ship one to you, and take it back if you dont like it.
    What’s to lose?

10. guydarryl

guydarryl pfm Member

I had a 20x and found it lacked "dynamics", rather than looking at your phono stage it may pay to look at cartridge. Whether or not it is more accurate or true to the original, I feel happier with the 10x5 (at the moment ;)) - far more "balls" imo; music isn't always polite!

11. RyanSoundLab

RyanSoundLab Trade: Ryan Sound Lab

Not to hi-jack this thread but there will soon be another phono preamp to consider from me, Ryan Sound Lab. An RSL Phono-Stage loaner for the UK will be over there before the end of January with one customer already signed up for a two week audition. The RSl Phono-Stage uses plug-in boards to support either MC or MM cartridges and comes with a separate linear power supply (not wall wart) and cable. IMHO it has amazing dynamics while also providing much of the tonality and soundstage often associated with tube preamps but without the hiss and bloat. The most "live" sound I could design in. Will cost $699 (MM) or $799 (MC). If you want to listen send me your particulars to: info@ryansoundlab.com or jc.ryan@verizon.net. An announcement is forthcoming in the business section of PFM.

12. jirka

jirka pfm Member

Ryan sound labs phono .

Is this the phono stage that was mentioned on Audio flat last year as a prototype ?

Please put me on the loaner programme thank you

jirka

13. RyanSoundLab

RyanSoundLab Trade: Ryan Sound Lab

Yes. I've spent a lot of time improving the power supply and that has made a huge difference in the sound. The original wall wart just can't compete with a real linear power supply.