1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New record (and book) shop, Chorlton, south Manchester

Discussion in 'music' started by Paul Mc, Jul 9, 2018.

1. julesd68

julesd68 pfm Member

I'll be in Manchester in a couple of weeks so will take a look at Vinyl Fiction.

It's Sifters for me every time I visit Manchester - crazy cheap and often near mint. It's pretty rare that I don't walk out with something I want ...

I don't bother at all now with King Bee - just don't like the quality of their vinyl ...

2. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

I hadn't been in for a couple of years but paid a visit about three months ago. He had hardly any vinyl stock that hadn't been on the racks for years. Lots of obvious stuff that you have already or don't want. He was actually on the phone bemoaning the situation to someone. Saying he can't get the stock these days due to the vinyl revival, eBay etc.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yes, I have a chat to him whenever I go in and (like most of us) he’s finding buying-in very hard these days. There’s just not a lot of stuff around as folk are using Discogs, eBay etc themselves. I’m amazed how well King Bee seems to do, it is the only one bucking the trend to my knowledge.

4. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

There has been a shop like this in Letchworth for some years.

http://www.davids-bookshops.co.uk/

They recently refitted and enlarged the cafe/coffee shop. Also, if weather good, put out bins/display racks with books/cd's and records.
    Seem to be surviving well, the coffee shop always seems fairly full, they did sell records on-line but now only books by the looks of things.

It will be a great shame if these outlets disappear as my wife is content to let me browse the records, while she always finds a book or two.

Bloss

5. julesd68

julesd68 pfm Member

That's disappointing, I have always done so well there! Maybe it's the kind of music I buy LOL ...

I'll have a chat to him in a couple of weeks ...

6. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

7. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

Seems it’s been there a year now. New to me anyway!

8. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

Thanks for the tip C Mad.

9. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

He's literally round the corner from me.
    Good luck getting anything at less than book price.:rolleyes:
    Not just saying that to put you off!

10. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

To be fair, if someone goes into a physical business with business rates, rent, heating, lighting etc to cover you can't really expect them to label their stock up at less than 'book price'. You're paying that bit extra for the chance to see the goods before you buy and confirm they are in acceptable condition. Also to be able to easily return/trade stuff in.

11. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Yeah I know I'm just tight.