1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New Sonos OS Will Enable Hi-Res Audio, New Features

Discussion in 'audio' started by hifinutt, Mar 26, 2020 at 6:59 PM.

1. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Wireless speaker pioneer Sonos has announced plans to a release a new operating system (OS) and app in June that will enable hi-res audio and other new features on all but a handful of its oldest products.

Details were scant, but the forthcoming Sonos S2 OS update will bring “usability updates and more personalization” in addition to an unspecified level of high-resolution sound.

The company said most of its products will be compatible with the new OS but noted that to download the new app, all products in a system must support S2.

Sonos owners will receive a notification in June when the S2 app is available for download; existing speaker settings and preferences will update automatically.

“Some of our oldest products, previously referred to as ‘legacy’ products, will not support the advances of S2 due to their memory and processing power,” Sonos said in a statement.

To avoid another misstep like the faux pas in January that prompted a public apology by CE Patrick Spence, Sonos was careful to point that owners of older products “can continue to use your system as you do today.”

S2-compatible Sonos products include Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 (Gen 2), Playbase, Playbar, Connect (Gen 2), Connect:Amp (Gen 2), One (Gen 1), One (Gen 2), One SL, Beam, Amp, Port, Boost, Symfonisk, Move, Sub (Gen 1), and Sub (Gen 2).

The following older products will not be compatible with S2: Zone Players, CR200, Bridge, Connect (Gen 1), Connect:Amp (Gen 1), and Play:5 (Gen 1).

Owners of wireless systems that include a mix of old and new Sonos speakers will have the option of not updating to the new S2 operating system so they can keep using the system as is they do now. The current app will be renamed the Sonos S1 Controller and continue working with existing music and voice services.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/new-sonos-os-will-enable-hi-res-audio-new-features

greygoose likes this.
  2. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Game changer that

3. agracie

agracie Active Member

Is it not still hindered by the hardware? My understanding was the flexibility is great but overall sound was lacking?

4. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Sonos speakers sound great for what they are, the new ‘connect’ device will integrate your hifi into the system, good news if you have existing devices.

5. agracie

agracie Active Member

Yeah, I was always on the fence about Sonos and ended up with RPi’s as felt it was less of an investment for streaming platform (although have probably spent a fair penny on them since then what with the different hats). I’m happy with the multi room system I have using the RPi’s. I always preferred the flexibility of my own speakers and a Sonos connect in each room would have been considerably more was my understanding.

6. LostAtSea

LostAtSea "33 222 1 222"

Not so flexible if new products after May 2020 (S2 only) cannot connect/group with S1 legacy kit, however as a long term user (10+ years) I am also waiting for more S2 details from Sonos. ONe thing they'll need to get right is support for WAV if they want to do 'hi-res' well; currently this is 'ooor' and though I don;t expect full idv3 support at least thry could (re-)introduce the ability to FF or REW, or select a track position. If they get most thignts right I may even stretch to the Sonos amp for the lounge/TV system (driving wall-mounted B&W DM302's)

Let's see....

PS how to identify 'Gen 1' kit isn't exactly clear on the website, either! EDIT I have just logged onto my Sonos account via the web and it shows what kit you have and whether it's S1 or S2. Also, when looking to buy, for example, an 'S2 Connect', apparently 2015 was the year S1 became S2 and the month/year of manufacture is next to the serial number underneath the device.

7. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

Just moved part of our system to Naim (Atom and QB2) away from Sonos - the step up in sound quality is striking - but the family (excl me) find Sonos app and system much easier to use.....

8. agracie

agracie Active Member

sorry was referring to the rpi system being more flexible than Sonos. Due to the multiple OS’s there are available to suit my needs. I always saw Sonos as highly inflexible.