1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New system.

Discussion in 'audio' started by tyendra, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Sich

Sich pfm Member

It's also worth considering ex-dem gear from a dealer.
    Don't think I've ever paid full RRP for any of my kit and always get full manufacturer warranty etc.

2. DCA

DCA Member

I too can recommend Audio T in Brighton. Julian, John and Paul have been very helpful to me over the years. They have decent listening facilities at the shop and offer home demos too. I often took gear home to test on a Saturday afternoon and then took back on a Tuesday morning (they're not open on a Monday). Julian doesn't live too far away from Eastbourne also which could be helpful.
    This forum though is a fabulous resource and you'll find out so much from past and current threads. It's also a great place to buy and sell gear which, as others have mentioned, can be a very cost effective way of finding what you like. I gather that you heard the 702s at the Bristol show so at least you like what they do and that's a good place to start but bear in mind how they sound in your room could be very different. Take your time and enjoy the journey.
    Cheers
    David

3. pjdowns

pjdowns pfm Member

I haven't used them for a while because I have moved away, but I would agree that Audio T in Brighton were good in my experience.

4. Ptah

Ptah pfm Member

I went from the Supernait2 to the Exposure pre & monos. The Exposure set is far more detailed and capable, as well as easy to use. The only thing I miss is the built-in headphone socket.

5. pjdowns

pjdowns pfm Member

This doesn't surprise me at all.

6. tyendra

tyendra Well-Known Member

It would be nice to have a headphone socket included, but I could live without one, especially if the Exposure had a phono stage built in. I spoke with the head office of B&W about the Supernait 2 driving the 702s and they suggested at 80 Watt a channel they might struggle to drive them efficiently .I would welcome anyones opinion on that.

7. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

From B&W's website, for what it's worth:

"Sensitivity 90dB spl (2.83Vrms, 1m)
    Nominal impedance 8Ω (minimum 3.1Ω)
    Recommended amplifier power 30W - 300W into 8Ω on unclipped programme"

So the only concern could be the 3.1 ohm minimum. And this illustrates why you need to demo at home. 80 decent watts will be enough, 80 flakey watts might not be.

Edit to add: there's a thread on the manufacturer's forum for the Supernait, started in January. I'd recommend you read that. I searched in google for "supernait 2 B&W 702".

8. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

we had the sn2 playing with 602s3 standmounts and it sounded like it cost 5 times the cost of the system . extremely good .

9. tyendra

Which, Exposure series?

10. pjdowns

pjdowns pfm Member

Not sure who you spoke to but that sounds like poppycock to me. My understanding is it’s all about grunt, not watts.

11. tyendra

I had look at the thread, interesting!. B&W recommend 30 - 300 watts per channel so 80 watts might be just on the outer edge of acceptable. Maybe the Exposures would work better. While I was on the Naim site I noticed that the Nap DR250 had the same 80 Watt ratting. Does that mean they have the same power?

12. tyendra

It would be nice to have a headphone socket included, but I could live without one, especially if the Exposure had a phono stage built in. I spoke with the head office of B&W about the Supernait 2 driving the 702s and they suggested at 80 Watt a channel they might struggle to drive them efficiently .I would welcome anyones opinion on that.

13. tyendra

Someone named Steve,from technical.

14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

80 watts might be just on the edge of throwing you over the back of the sofa, you mean. 80 real watts into any speaker will be PA levels of sound. Where it gets complex is that some amps don't deliver full power into lower impedances. A Quad 405 delivers 100Wpc into 8R but is current limited so into 2R it's very low powered indeed (because power is current squared x resistance). Compare a Krell KSA100 that is 100W into 8, 200W into 4, 400 into 2, etc, you can see that it is unfazed by low impedances.

I have a valve amp, nominally 35wpc. I will bet you the price of a pair of B&W 702s that you will not be able to bear being in the room with that amp flat out into 702s. It will be utterly deafening, way beyond 100dB.

15. PerF

PerF Trade box swapper

Naim watt is sometime misleading, my experience they are more powerfull than on paper, my 35w Nait 3 maked a joke of a 200w Rotel amp, so much for specs.

A 250.2 is more powerfull than SN2 but you will need a pre/psu at substantial expense

I expect the Exposure combo is great but admittedly have not heard it myself it gets good reviews around.

Again, you need to get out and hear the stuff for yourself, say yes to any offer for home-loan demos.

Are your source a secret or have I missed it ?

16. tyendra

I have an old CD player and turntable, that I will have to upgrade at some point.

17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

If you have a working CDP and TT then that's good enough for now. I'd be getting a decent used Exposure or Naim, if that's what interests you, and some speakers to suit. Not the Holy Grail, but something that you like. Mid-range B&W for example, you like the 702s. You then have a marker, you have decent music, and you can then start wheeling in things to see if you prefer them. If and when you do the Exposure/Naim/B&W mid-xxx/current sources are sold on for more-or-less what you paid, and yo have something that you know is better because you have done an A-B comparison.

18. Ptah

Ptah pfm Member

The ones you mentioned in your opening post.

19. PerF

PerF Trade box swapper

May I suggest you await a £7K investment in heavy new gear without having the source settled yet

Imo its one of the most important things, you risk getting the new stuff home not really performing as expected

Sh*t in sh*t out as somebody said, and you could be left confused.

Offcourse your sources might allready be on level, or not ?

As for homedems, you might get the wrong impression using lower level source.

I am sure you will be advised about sources from others here once we know what they currently are.

Another idea I would do myself if should start all over:
    Go listen to a complete Rega setup, say Apollo or Saturn cd, perhaps a Planar 6, Elex amp and their RX speakers
    Its quite stunning how musically such a setup is, made in UK too.
    Or
    Purchase a s/h Naim or Exposure amp, some B&W speakers and get used to performance during some months, most likely you can sell it on with little loss should you decide to go for your dream setup.

Good luck !

20. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

'Grunt' being instantaneous current delivery, a measurement sadly missing from most spec sheets.