1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Next Labour Leader II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Sue Pertwee-Tyr, Jan 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Has she?

2. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

While I agree with much of that I don’t understand how the parasite v host problem of the 1% vs the 99% will be addressed by the moderates you put so much faith in when even you’re own analysis tells the story of Labour moderate centrists in government taking all the benefits of growth from the host and giving it to the parasite.

3. JonR

JonR Brainwashed Bloke

OK I will concede that, technically, it is McDonnell that has endorsed her, but McDonnell is a close ally of Corbyn and as RLB claimed herself many times, she wrote a lot of the manifesto that Corbyn was only too happy to promote during the general election.

4. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I thought Corbyn had endorsed her? He does like a nuanced position though, he will endorse whoever wins.

5. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Fair enough. Interestingly, one of RLB's main complaints about the campaign is that the New Green Deal (her key policy) wasn't promoted enough by the leadership. She argues, and I tend to agree, that the campaign needed much greater focus, and that the GND would have been an excellent way to achieve that.

In any case, I find it pernicious that so many people are ready to call her "continuity Corbyn" and dismiss her. The most egregious example is Suzanne Moore's tweet implying that RLB had been "groomed by two older white men" - repellent stuff from a supposedly liberal pundit.

Also, notionally, Starmer has committed to about 70-80% of the Corbyn project and no-one's sticking that label on him. And today we're witnessing a Conservative Chancellor recycling large chunks of Labour thinking about the need for bold fiscal stimulus as if it's simply common sense. Maybe Rishi Sunak is a Corbynite sleeper agent?

Of course it's the right thing to do but it should have been done 5-10 years ago when it might have spared us all the agony and the idiocy of Brexit.

6. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

93 pages and still no leader?

At least they are putting all the recent. challenges behind them, which is nice.

cutting42 likes this.
  7. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

Have they not delayed a new leader announcement until April 4th.

8. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

Leader...after this amount of time and consideration, it should be the effin Messiah.

9. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Oh, I see. In which year? :D

10. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Or a Mashiach even, if they really wanted to appeal to Jewish LP membership. ;)

11. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Isn't the Labour leadership campaign almost the same length in duration as the recent Conservative one? Didn't see our resident blues bleating about that.

12. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I doubt the GND would have made any difference to the outcome. It is an odd situation whereby one candidate is accused of being 'continuity' while another is seen as a centrist while adopting Corbyn policies, I think both sides have their minds made up; classic case of confirmation bias.

droodzilla likes this.
  13. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Why on earth would they (Tories and all the other parties) bleat? About having absolute power in HoC, having no real opposition?

But on your point - May threw in towel With first ballot 13th June, leader announced 23rd July. JC jacked it in 12 December, resultant leader expected to take office 4 April.

Tory leader 37 days
    LP leader 108 days (assuming they hit 4 April timelines.

If a week is a long time in politics, this is a tad more than 'almost as long', I reckon.

14. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

Relieve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.