1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

NHS turmoil is just the start of Tory ideology run wild

Discussion in 'off topic' started by internet radio, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

I don't think it was necessarily a bad idea / policy, just so poorly executed with woefully short budgets and a lack of trained people. Problems were inevitable and there have been many.

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

'The Divided Shelf' is essential reading for all fmcg middle managers

3. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

fmcg = feel my cheese grater?

4. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

I'm with ya, Brother.

5. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

Absolutely.

And it manifests in other ways. Integration of mentally disordered children into schools for example. It's not a cheap option. The local infant school has two support staff explicitly employed to help two such children.

Paul

6. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

Free Masons Can't Give

7. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Remind me of the other one, I've forgotten.

Joe, the fact is I did withdraw the "fabrication" word and replaced it with the "spin" word. I don't give a damn what is in the article, I responded to the content of the post, YOUR contribution rather than the writing of someone else via a link.

The suggestion was in relation to Thatcher, not one particular shite policy of hers.

Oh dear. You do yourself no favours with comment like that.

Basically, Greg has you tied up in knots and as usual you don't have what it takes to concede the point. Mentally ill people were being booted out into the community where there was a lack of adequate care due to cuts imposed by the Thatcher government. It's as simple as that. I can't see why you're denying it.

8. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Roll up roll up

Popcorn (salted or sweet) - Was £3, tonight £2 (half price) with £1 of every tub going to Brian.
    Jumbo Hotdogs - £5 Now with 55% more dog meat, guaranteed.
    Haribo Tangtastics - £2
    Morals - we've sold out, (no pun intended)
    Welders Glasses (essential) £55

Tickets for this evenings show staring not everyone's favourites - 'Shooting From the Hip Brian', 'Jo Shooting From The Right Sharp' and Paul Ranson, is he a man, or is he a machine sent from the future?

Tickets for this Friday night special are priced at £35 or two for £80, it's gonna sell out fast so grab some half price popcorn and settle down. It's gonna be a blast.

9. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

I work on the assumption that you are a creation rather than a person. Until you choose to reveal yourself that is how I shall continue.

Prove that was ever the case.

It's not true. It doesn't matter, but it's not true.

Paul

10. Greg

Greg 2t5b

By mentally disordered, I presume you mean mentally disabled as opposed to mentally ill. This is quite a different area from mental illness and care in the community for the mentally ill, I think.

Integration into schools is a difficult area. In some individual's cases it works very well indeed and is absolutely the right thing and in others not well at all and can (as a current example at our school shows) set inappropriately high expectations from the parents and incredibly complicated pressures on the school.

My wife's mum worked as teacher in a "special" school for many years. There were so many heartbreaking cases of children stuck in there with no chance of anything. There were certainly some who would have clearly benefitted from having a chance at a normal education.

11. Brian

Nice one Patrick, but I don't take part in shows anymore. :)

12. Brian

That's an embarrassing reply.

So you're claiming mentally ill people were not moved out of what we could term as formal care (institutions) and back into the community under the Thatcher government?

See above

13. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

I'm not expert on the continuum of the definitions. But the common theme is integration. Which is a laudable target even if it costs more.

Paul

14. Brian

You don't say...

Anyway, in post #68 you claimed mentally ill people were not moved out of institutions and back into the community under the Thatcher government. You're wrong.

Perhaps the national media reporting during the 80's and 90's, when many institutions where mental patients were being cared for were closed down, was an invention. Only if the tories did it properly might it cost more, but they didn't do it properly. Many people were moved to sub-standard private institutions or simply ended up homeless.

Your post #105 and the one quoted here. Of course integration is a laudable thing but this is a strawman here.

Can you link to any post from anyone who has claimed Institutions were a fantastic thing? I can point you toward members specifically mentioning the opposite. post 82 from Greg, post #95 from TonyL and post #101 from Tiger are worth reading.

Institutions were not great but they were a damn sight better than what became the norm under Thatcher and then Major, which was mentally ill people left to rot.