1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nice TD160 bundle

Discussion in 'classic' started by matt j, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:36 PM.

1. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I seem to do well with Thorens decks, I picked up a really nice TD125 Mk2 about 18 months ago that looked virtually unused, now I've just been to pick up this little lot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A mint 160B Mk2 with Mission 774, an Ortofon MC10 plus an Ortofon MC10 Super and all the bits in the pics, gobsmacked really at the condition, it definitely looks one owner.

Arm isn't very well set up so I suspect whoever owned it never really heard it properly, but the arm is mint aside from the usual dodgy counter weight sag where the silicone(?) damper has gone off, it came with the arm box, tools, all the paddles, spare belt and all sorts.

The dodgy platter mat will have to go, it's like a thick gooey rubber that has gone off I think, it says 'Spectra' on it. Tested it with an RPM app on the phone and it's running a bit slow at 32.2 and 43.4 RPM, I've checked the accuracy of the app on my Technics and it's spot on so I'm inclined to believe it's a bit slow. The suspension also needs setting up.

The lid has gone a bit milky coloured, UV? or were they not totally clear? The lid is mint BTW, not a crack or scratch anywhere, looks new!

Nice little find for 275 clams I reckon. Especially looking forward to hearing the carts, either of them any good? Any tips for getting it running 100%?

2. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

I bet it will sound very nice with that arm. More tweak potential than the 125 as well. Surprised the speed's off. Is it one of the 16v ones?

3. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Great price , the arm alone is worth £300+. I sold a 774 last year for £350 and that had no box!

4. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I know nothing about them, I've been out all night and only just got back, will have a proper look tomorrow. Is there any sort of speed adjustment?

5. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

No, afraid not. If it's a 16v it will have a wall wart - I think some of this model were 16v, some 240, with the 16v supposedly keeping slightly better speed. Probably just needs a clean and a new belt though. Analogue Department once again the place to go for set up tips.

6. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Speed testing done with the new belt that came with it, although it was unbranded and of unknown age/quality.

It's 240v, no wall wart.

7. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

Excellent! I don't have a 774 protractor, so that will be useful when you come and pick up some Westvleteren help me set up my 125.

matt j likes this.
  8. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Clean out the bearing and fill with fresh oil, that should get the speed running a bit closer to its correct speed. Fill the bearing with about 5ml of oil, fit the inner platter and let it fall all the way down (it might take a minute or so to get all the way down depending on how tight the inner platter fits). Lift the inner platter off and see if any oil has spilled out the top of the bearing. If it hasn't add a few more drops of oil and put the inner platter back in. Repeat until you get oil just oozing out the top of the bearing. Clean up any oil which has overflowed and put the inner platter back in. Let it settle for a minute and then put on the outer platter and run a speed check.

9. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Think I might have found the speed issue- on removal of the sub platter I noticed it was a bit lacking in oil so I cleaned it out and re-oiled it. On spinning the sub platter by hand I can hear an obvious rubbing, not massive but enough to prevent it from spinning more than 10-15 seconds or so. You can see where the bottom of the sub platter around the bearing spindle has been rubbing on the top of the bearing housing I presume this means the thrust plate is worn in the bottom as those faces shouldn't be touching?

As such the suspension won't quite adjust correctly as in my opinion the sub platter is obviously sitting lower than it should. The bearing and spindle look fine and it all cleaned up fine, there's no play when it's all together it's just riding too low.

Can you get thrust plates for the bottom of the bearing well?

10. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

It is hard to tell for certain via your plan view photo of the deck, but the spindle looks wrong to me. Too round ended and possibly longer than is usual for this model.

Could you provide top, bottom, and side view pictures of the subplatter/spindle assembly?

11. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

You can’t get a new thrust plate, you’d need to get a replacement sub chassis if there is a problem with the bearing housing. The inner platter should be all metal, but even one from say a td166 should still have the correct length spindle. Sounds like it may have been run for a long time with no oil and the bottom of the bearing is wrecked. Photos might help.

12. matt j

matt j pfm Member

On investigation it seems a common problem as a replacement PTFE/other thrust plate can be purchased to drop into the bottom of the bearing well as they get dimpled over time.

Will try to get some pics of the sub platter to clarify if it's correct or not but it looks correct on initial inspection.

13. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Pics, click for bigger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Yikes, that's wayyyyyyy too low! Where did you find a drop in thrust pad?

15. matt j

matt j pfm Member

16. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Have you had a look at the bottom of the bearing on the underside of the sub chassis, does it look damaged in any way? Can you take a photo of it?

17. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Yes it looks fine, no damage or anything out of the ordinary.

18. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Might just be the angle, but as Craig says, the bottom of the spindle looks way too rounded, almost flat. Should be more like this:

[​IMG]

(Although everything else about the subplatter in the above pic looks weird.)

Fred's Hifi in France sell drop in metal thrust plates designed specifically for Thorens, but the website seems to be gone. SRM/Tech do generic PTFE ones:

http://srm-tech.co.uk/epages/4c0089...923-2265-416e-a207-cc9dd8b06028/Products/SSP1

But I don't think that's your problem.

19. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

Matt,

I could be wrong, but that appears to be the 7.2mm diameter bearing. Typically, on all MkI, and many (if not most) MkII examples, the TD160 (and others) employed a 10mm diameter tapered tip bearing spindle, however, at some point Thorens quietly began employing the 7.2mm bearing with a less sharply radius tip that was normally found on the TD166/TD145 among others.

I'd only caution you to accurately measure the spindle diameter before attempting to source a suplimental thrust plate.

Craig

20. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Cheers Craig, that would explain the lack of any obvious dimple in the bottom of the bearing housing, but not why it sits so low, unless it's just worn?