1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nils Frahm, Anyone?

Discussion in 'music' started by Vinny, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

I do not play his stuff enough. Fact.

Just received, Spaces. What a bare and utterly emotional work. Amazing, and that from someone who hates piano, but is in awe of Herr Frahms.

2. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

+1.

Saw him live at Manchester Albert Hall :)

As you 'hate' piano you might also like

As this has some 'proper' instruments included.

Vinny likes this.
  3. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Thanks for that.

I have almost bought GoGo Penguin numerous times, but haven't got there yet. Love the keys on that though, from a piano-hater (except jazz) :)
    A great set from them...……..I will investigate...……………..
    Maybe I will chance the album that that is on?????????

4. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Spaces is my favourite NF album by far. Be sure to check out the recent Olafur Arnaulds collab.

He really is rather good live.

5. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

LOL, the collaboration was acquired a while ago ;)

OA, another fabulous composer and performer.

6. misterdog

They have no best album but the latest is awesome on a good system played loud.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Humdrum-Star-GoGo-Penguin/dp/B077FL8VM5

Other sellers are available but this is best for Tony.

7. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Thanks again - now in basket with Man Made Object.

8. misterdog

9. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

The one thing about Spaces, it is one of a few albums where an awful lot of the keyboards sound like piano. I was starting to get worried, paranoid even - so much of what is supposed to be piano, sounds nothing like, no doubt in part due to rubbish recording/mastering and in part down to dratted electronic fiddling with the sound.

Brilliant album.
    I must also trust more in the reproduction gear here, if piano sounds wrong, it is somewhere in the recording...…………….

The first time that I realised how wonderful (jazz) piano could be was Supertramp, particularly Crime of The Century, an album from my teens, but that is another magnificent story entirely.

10. misterdog

Pianos, they all sound the same surely.
    So why not commission your own ?

As for using toilet brushes to create music.

11. MarkW

MarkW Full Speed & Pagan

Heathen!

All pianos sound the same?

Listen to a Kawai, a Baldwin or a Steinway, the differences in harmonics and the subtle decays of those harmonics in long decays. Easily audible differences,

Listen to the bright attack of a Yamaha grand or a Ravenscroft, compare that the mellowness of a Bosendorfer, big differences.

Give the same piano to two old school tuners and hear the changes simply reharmonising one instrument can make.

Often in recordings, pianos are quite compressed because of the dynamic range and having the get them to sit in a mix in balance with other instruments. It does blend out some of the rich variation in tones. But very few pianos sound the same.

12. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

Think i have every piece of his works, All Encores is the new one. Tis very cool as usual

13. johnhunt

johnhunt pfm Member

I find it a bit boring

14. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

All Encores or just his music in general?

15. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Mark - that was a joke - take a look at the video about piano-making in 21st C

16. Spiderous

Spiderous pfm Member

It’s fair to say Portishead’s Geoff Barrow and Adrian Utley aren’t fans: “he’ll change his scarf halfway through a gig to show how important he is”. “He’s grade 3 piano. He’s f****ng Richard Clayderman.”

17. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

I saw him at the Barbican last year and he was great. Don't know what the Portishead mob are complaining about as he was an absolutely superb MC for his own show - funny, articulate, self-depreciating. He made an already excellent performance a little bit more special.

18. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

I had to give up being self deprecating.

I wasnt any good at it.

19. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing A Leading Expert

Most excellent. I am storing that up for future use.

I'm also a bit of a Frahm fan. Wintermusic is my favourite so far.

I've also got all the Portsihead, Beak>, DROKK, Arcadia, Guitar Orchestra - Barrow and Utley stuff.

So. Not sure what thay says.

20. misterdog

Some are grander than others though ;)

And she's on the Gondwana Record label.