1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Notre Dame Cathedral on fire

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Apr 15, 2019.

1. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

2. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

We've seen it back then in the aftermath of the fire of the Chapel Bridge in Lucerne - money will pour in from all over the world, more than will ever be needed, to the point of raising questions about what to do with the surplus. Whether the Cathedral will return to its former beauty might still be another matter.

3. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Yes indeed, why didn't the French think of that - "what we need now is the opinion of a narcissistic know nothing, untroubled by facts or self awareness - that'll help".

Nick_G, Cheese, Stunsworth and 3 others like this.
  4. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I do have a better idea. Leave it to the professionals who know what they’re doing. The French firefighters said Trump’s plan would destroy the building, their actions have saved it.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  5. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I hope the Catholic Church is adequately insured, it would be scandalous for the tax payer to swallow a tab like this, especially in a secular country such as France. However, it was in a bad state of repair and it may not be practical/reasonable to rebuild - think how long the Sagrada Família in Barcelona has taken so far, I imagine the work would be on that kind of scale - and it may not have been possible to insure! No reason not to leave the ruin, as in Coventry for example, and build a modern cathedral...

6. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

I am now reading that most of the artwork was saved by firefighters.....interesting. I hope they will be going in to get my records if my house ever burns down.

Mr Cat and moffer like this.
  7. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

If say, the Blue Mosque in Istanbul burned down (also in a secular country), should it be left as a ruin and a new place of worship built for its community? That too would be ridiculous. These are major pieces of world heritage, in a sense belonging to everyone. Money will pour in to rebuild Notre Dame as indeed it would if the same thing happened to the Taj Mahal, The Hagia Sophia or Angkor Wat.

Nick_G, PsB, farfromthesun and 4 others like this.
  8. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

They could leave the facade for example and build new behind - the world moves on. It could be a great architectural opportunity...

9. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

Would you think in years gone by teams have taken specific measurements of the spire that has gone and other lost structure?, or will they rebuild as close as possible from photos? Or maybe put a modern twist on the new spire? I'm assuming the use of wood to the extent it had to be used 800 years ago will not be happening again.

I don't think France will be on its own with this task whatever happens.

10. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

Nice. There is a cathedral thread on here somewhere. I am not sure but it seems France does cathedrals better than UK? Certainly the Strasbourg Notre Dame is at least as impressive as the Paris one. It might even be bigger and older. I'm not sure. It's certainly much taller. And I hear that in Reims is better still. I must do a tour....

If this had happened to the Strasbourg cathedral, it would have ripped the heart out of the city. Parisiens must be very upset, even though there is so much more there than anywhere else in France, and the problem is diluted a touch. In a smaller city, it would have been much worse for the locals, I suspect.

I understand that, with the exception of Strasbourg, all cathedrals in France are maintained by local government, not national. I heard that the maintenance work was, before the fire, to cost 150 million euros over a 10 year period. That figure now must surely be 500,000-1bn euros. I wonder who's paying. I cant imagine any insurance company or local government will have the resources for that.

11. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

Someone from the French Catholic Church was already on TV last night, cap in hand, reaching out the world community. My hands are staying in my pocket.

12. lagavullin10y

lagavullin10y pfm Member

And we should not forget de Messe de Notre Dame by Mauchaut. I consider that the best piece of music from the middle ages.

13. TheDecameron

Do you find large fires exciting?

14. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

From what I’ve seen of the interior I think it will be restored. The firefighters have done a great job under very dangerous conditions.

Needless to say the far right conspiracy theorist nut jobs are already on the case.

15. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

As I said before, I'm here on a secret Guy Fawkes mission. Keep it hush hush.

16. TheDecameron

I presume that’s intended to be ironic.

Rockmeister likes this.
  17. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

If France works like the UK public buildings are not insured.
    None of Manchester’s schools were insured when I worked there.
    The cost of premiums for the City far outweighed the cost of a school rebuild.

I fully expect it to be rebuilt as close as possible to the original. Several old French cities were restored after WW2 to the original plans.

I doubt I will see it back to its former glory though. The work will take decades.

18. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

Already 300 million pledged from 2 businessmen!

19. Darren555

Darren555 pfm Member

You witnessed it first hand being used in the open & not on a compartmented building in a built up area.
    Any building fire that you want to save requires firefighters going into that building & preferably not one that has been further structurally damaged by having stuff dumped on it from height.
    Fires are generally hard to start but once developed become deep seated & hard to put out without getting in close with targeted action.

20. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

It's a fair comment. The French do the architectural juxtaposition well.