1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Notre Dame Cathedral on fire

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Apr 15, 2019.

1. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

See, you wont have to put your hand in your pocket.

2. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Well, the same thing has happened to the House of Commons. Twice. The present building is (mostly) post-WW2.

3. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

There is someone on R4 now pledging another 100 million...I don't get how they so quickly assume that the authorities did not have this covered and that the insurers won't be paying.

Lol

4. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

The building is owned by the state, as are all historic churches in France, but the church is responsible for the upkeep, whether they had some level of insurance I don't know, that's up to them I suppose. The Catholic Church is in steep decline in France, so money was already a serious issue before the fire.

5. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

6. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

Strasbourg is an exception to the norm. I think the state is responsible for the upkeep. One reason why it is in such good shape compared to the others perhaps.

7. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

surely the Vatican could put it's hands in their pockets?

8. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

The Spire has been rebuilt after a fire a long time ago and has also been taken down and rebuilt deliberately at some point too. So I guess some pretty good drawings exist.

kennyh likes this.
  9. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

What an inadvertently wonderful post!

I presume it’s (sic) refers to the Vatican and their to the world’s RC community.

Mr Cat likes this.
  10. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

That point was being debated on R4 just now too...it's not just what it looked like. its the importance of its function and what it means to people beyond aesthetics.

11. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

yeah, spot the type :D

12. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

That's very promising then, especially if it wasn't the original 800 year old item anyway. I'd assume with that info. they'll go for a near as damn it replica rebuild.

13. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

Any takers on this for a new design?

[​IMG]

Mr Cat likes this.
  14. lagavullin10y

lagavullin10y pfm Member

Rebuilt != replaced.

When I had my amp rebuilt, I did not get a new one (unfortunately).

15. lagavullin10y

lagavullin10y pfm Member

Ah! Thats why the window washer union is supporting the yellow jersey movement.

TheDecameron likes this.
  16. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

The spire was 19th century I think, and most of the roof structure was pretty modern too. The building was slowly collapsing before the fire and required >100m euros of work, they were debating where to get the cash, or even if it was possible. Basically it's built on mud. The irreplaceable stuff was inside.

kennyh likes this.
  17. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Not good richglib, I mean, where could the priest now take that cherub looking choir boy for extra practice without being seen to improve his higher notes

Bloss

18. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Gods who live in glass houses shouldn’t cast the first stone.

Smiting’s a bit risky, too.

19. CHE

CHE pfm Member

Well maybe that one but I do home the French do something different than just a copy of what was there. I'm thinking along the lines of the Coventry Cathedral rebuild, something that keeps the old but adds a new structure, perhaps even inside the shell, to make better use of the space and add to what was there. I don't see a reconstruction taking anything other than decades, cost way too much for the benefit, be not be as good as the original and ultimately not add anything. Better to accept the loss and move on with something innovative whilst keeping the facade.

CHE

20. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

No doubt huge arguments are to follow...I'm with you. Trying to copy the past is very similar to taking back control.