1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+13)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Bob McC, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frankiesays

Frankiesays Here, there and everywhere.

Duh, as is extremist.

2. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Excellent post. You might be interested in this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strange-De...qid=1547218860&sr=1-1&keywords=douglas+murray

It's thought-provoking stuff.

3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Stands to reason dannit? End of.

4. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Does common sense include anti-vaccination views? Like many professional opinion-spouters, she is a toxic combination of ignorance and arrogance.

stephen bennett likes this.
  5. Still

Still beware of the duck

I agree Labour was impressive in the 2017 GE, which is why I specifically posted Labours performance post 2017 GE.
    I'm bitterly disappointed by, and don't understand why, the performance of Labour leadership has regressed and the momentum (no pun intended) lost since then.

The EU is about an awful lot more than market harmonisation.
    But re: working conditions it has repeatedly acted as a shield against the extremes of Westminster.
    I haven't seen anything suggesting that is changing.

No doubt most reassuring for the minorities they'd otherwise harass/duff up.

6. Frankiesays

I didn't say my world view aligned perfectly with hers!

7. Frankiesays

I can send you my copy if you like, I'll even add trigger warnings, how sensitive are you? - Take this quick test - A trans woman walks into a shop but gets mistakenly addressed as 'Sir', do you a) Have a little chuckle, or b) Tweet the incident immediately and inform the local police.

8. Still

Still beware of the duck

You need to broaden your horizons as a matter of urgency.

9. timola

timola pfm Member

I was wondering why Melanie Phillips was being criticised here yesterday, down to her being Jewish. I just caught up QT and all makes sense now. She was very good, told it as it is.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  10. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

I think the masterfulness of Labour's performance in 2017 is exaggerated, just as their incompetence has been since then. They just did a decent job with a lot of active support: what was key then was the policies and the relative neutrality of the broadcast media. And they haven't got any worse now, they're just in a situation where they can't actually please anyone without ____ing everything up. But the policies haven't changed and at some stage they will once again be key.

As for the changing nature of the EU, the Viking and Laval cases are reckoned by many to represent the turning point, from upward harmonisation of domestic labour laws to support a common market, to the disciplining of domestic labour laws to make sure that they don't constitute an obstacle to capital. Or as this paper puts it, the EU's role here changes from guaranteeing a certain floor below which workers' rights can't fall, to guaranteeing a certain ceiling above which they can't rise. In both cases it's about market harmonisation. Harmonisation of the market is absolutely key to the EU: I'm not saying it's everything, but it is key, has been from the start: all the (legitimate) celebration of the good stuff becomes idealistic flim-flam if that basic feature is denied.

Ragaman likes this.
  11. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

With Mikey it is always, in the end, all about the trans women and the willies. Even when it's about the mozzies, it's really about the trans women and the willies.

12. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Her continued support for the unproven alleged links between MMR and Autism makes her partly personally responsible for the current outbreaks of measles and the deaths this will cause. She will not apologise nor has she admitted she was wrong.

She should be in prison, not the Times.

Then again, there should also have been some comeback for Johnson who should also have to pay somehow for his lies and the of breaking Parliamentary rules. But he also get a public mouthpiece to spout his bile.

I wonder how close the correlation is between Brexit supporters and those who think Phillips 'talks sense'? I'm guessing 100%

Stephen

13. TheDecameron

I think she was great in Blonde Ambition and Working Girl is up there too. There’s only one thing worse than a troll and it’s a slack troll.

14. MVV

MVV pfm Member

Imagine that? There is a person who actually thinks 'Melanie Griffith' was very good on QT! Personally I find that really hard to believe and think it is more just a glittery thing that looks like little silver fish.

15. TheDecameron

They are responsible for lost lives and life long disability in victims conned by their lucrative snake oil and click bate operations. Goes back to my point- what is it about right wing commentators and conspiracy beliefs?

16. TheDecameron

A good display of sexual panic is very entertaining, so long as they don’t sweat all over the thread.

17. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

What kind of shop?

18. timola

timola pfm Member

Yes, my mistake...now corrected.

19. timola

timola pfm Member

Yes, that's me. I did get her name wrong. Its Phillips and she was spot on in last night's QT.

20. TheDecameron

You was ‘wondering’. Just puttin it out there? It must be frustrating having to keep a lid on your views. You being an internet naive and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.