1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+13)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Bob McC, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt j

matt j pfm Member

My Dad, whilst not that old (he's more in line with the upper age range here) has gone the other way. He's now even more staunch Brexit after seeing all this faffing around and playing games, he wanted to know why we weren't out the day after the referendum result!

He's convinced there's some sort of conspiracy to keep us in, and generally speaking he isn't a conspiracy nutter.

2. timola

timola pfm Member

I'm hoping for this:

1) Theresa resigns.

2) BoJo or another Brexiter takes over.

3) Corbyn is forced to campaign on a second referendum and to support staying in (status quo).

4) BoJo wins a snap GE (landslide or significant majority).

5 We leave as planned with no deal and promise an FTA with EU in due course.

5) UK-USA and several other FTAs are quickly put forward.

6) A new era dawns (sunny uplands with unicorns running free in the meadows).

3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Thank you for clarifying and good luck. The chances of Johnson winning a GE with a significant majority are I’d say, remote.

Barrymagrec likes this.
  4. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

5. TheDecameron

6. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

My mother (mid 70s) voted leave and has become more angry and more vociferous (and anti-foreigner) since the referendum, despite the crashing pound causing significant financial losses for me (portion of savings tied up in GBP, living costs in USD). It's a huge strain on our relationship, despite the fact that historically we were very close. If there's a hard, disastrous Brexit and she continues in her current views it will be extremely hard to visit. I'm sure I'm far from alone in feeling this type of family strain.

7. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

That would be chlorine washed, growth hormone fed, cage reared GMO unicorn steaks all around. But never fear the health effects because USAMedicineInc will be there to keep you alive while they empty your bank account, er, I mean, make you better again.

tuga and Barrymagrec like this.
  8. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

I think my in-laws, were they still alive, would have been like that, their MP was Brexit loony Bill Cash and they thought he was wonderful.

Some of the recent seasonal family gatherings must have been less than ideal.

9. wyjsar

wyjsar Nothing but heart

You're putting forward your own version of Project Fear there.

ff1d1l likes this.
  10. timola

timola pfm Member

I don't fear much of that. I'm sure you'll have a good choice of other food products.

The USA is a world leader in Medicine (almost all aspects of it).

11. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

You want to eat Yank chicken and beef?
    Either Do a bit of research or raise your standards from the gutter.

ff1d1l, kendo and rbrown like this.
  12. timola

timola pfm Member

I was surprised to learn the egg and chicken in my sandwich fillers from Morrison's came from Thailand (It didn't taste very good but was cheap).

Yank Beef, I've tried, its great. The serving was huge, the stake was bigger than the plate. Also their fruit is miles better than here.

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

The biggest producers of chicken in the world are Thailand and Brazil. Probably also for egg products. Not sure what their welfare records are, I suspect that they comply with the standards that you are willing to pay for.

You may be.
    I'm hoping for Kylie to come round in an hour or so with a bottle of wine and a wicked grin, but that's not very bloody likely either.

timola likes this.
  14. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

15. TheDecameron

It’s an interesting aspect of the Brexit dream- the imagined resuscitation of the imagined Special Relationship. The old colony will once again come to the rescue and throw us a dime. Striking a trade deal with Trump’s America and ‘taking back our sovereignty’ are I’m afraid, contradictory. They really love us and our quaint ways- they’ll bend over backwards to help us because we are special. Special in a way those Europeans could never appreciate.

16. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Yep.. and the USA is also a World leader in crippling medical insurance bills. Bet they can't wait to get a foot in our door

kendo, jackbarron and TheDecameron like this.
  17. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

No it isn’t. She says hi by the way.

stevec67 likes this.
  18. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

But that 2 option ref would not be accepted by the present govt. The whole thing is a bucket of manure.

19. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

20. wacko

wacko pfm Member

It ain't over until the ...
    They say a week is a long time in politics: next week is the one that counts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.