1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+13)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Bob McC, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Indeed. Any 'free trade' deal with the USA is likely to include them insisting their medical companies can cherry pick and exploit the NHS for profit, extend IPR on medicine, and things like the results of genomic research, etc. People forget the the way USA concerns have hoovered up IPR on 'genes', etc, and the cost implications.

Mullardman likes this.
  2. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

I found their steak was good but their apples and milk were awful. This was a few decades ago, though. Apples seemed to be sold on size, not flavour.

3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

That means Gavin Williams gets to threaten Grayling with his tarantula. Putin must be watching all this, rubbing his hands and deciding his next humiliation.

4. timola

timola pfm Member

I agree, we have the best apples, I can't remember if I enjoyed their milk. The melons were awesome.

IPR is an issue, I think it's their business at all costs attitude, they want to monetise everything. IPR on genes is a worry to me because the benefits of GM crops, Gene therapies and embryonic research are absolutely huge and have the potential to save humanity from itself.

Recently I read scientists ( American I think) worked out a way to improve the efficiency of Photosynthesis by 10%...wow!

5. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

If we do leave without a deal, I want a staunch leaver to be in charge. They need to own this.

Stephen

6. TheDecameron

Wrong kind of exons I’m afraid. Might keep Trump’s offspring alive till they’re 150 but they’ll boil like frogs when they get there.

7. wacko

wacko pfm Member

USA is a huge market with the best and worst of food. The best in California is probably better than most items in the UK.

8. tuga

tuga pfm Member

It's 40% and of tobacco plants. So much for saving humanity...wow!

TheDecameron and ff1d1l like this.
  9. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Strange that Americans have one of the lowest life expectancies of any developed country. The USA is the world leader at making money from illness and injury

andrewd and TheDecameron like this.
  10. tuga

tuga pfm Member

They make I'll or injure the population with massive servings of bad food made with highly" engineered" produce... Oh but what profit!

11. timola

timola pfm Member

Why look for the negative? That was just the plant under study or maybe its most amenable to research. The genes/ technology may/hopefully be transferrable.

I imagine all crop yields going up by 40% in the future....so yes its a huge wow!

12. tuga

tuga pfm Member

There's profit in that plant. Just a coincidence, I know...

13. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

If, or more likely when the £pound is only worth not many cents how attractive will this potential deal!!?? with Trump's (FFS) America look?
    If Trump thinks it would be a good thing then you must know it couldn't be anything but a f*cking disaster for (very) Little Britain.

The Far North likes this.
  14. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

Tobacco is a standard research plant, it grows quickly IIRC.

timola likes this.
  15. TheDecameron

I remember thinking there’s every type of fresh fruit and vegetable available all year round there, like there’s four seasons all year round. Good example of a huge geographical single market....oh wait a minute.

16. Realist

Realist pfm Member

Can you see it coming yet?

jackbarron likes this.
  17. HairyHaggis

HairyHaggis <((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>¸.

Quite. And this should be self evident to all but the wilfully hard of thinking

18. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Anyone who thinks there are sunlit lands up ahead in a trade deal with the USA with Trump in power is on another planet. Have a look at this thread which examines the summary of American negotiating objectives with *the EU*, a much larger and more powerful trade body than the UK: https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1084077109407027200

“On agriculture this is about as clear a statement in support of hormone-treated beef and everyone's favourite chlorinated chicken that you're going to find. Wonder if Liam Fox has been briefed on this?...Conclusion: US Trade was never generous, but they knew trade was a negotiation for mutual gain. No more, this is simply a 'me, me, me' list, to be ignored by the EU. But what will the UK do when faced with a similar document? Should be more clear really - on the basis of these negotiating objectives there's no way any self-respecting country including the UK could possibly start trade negotiations with the US. Another problem for the UK Government.”

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and tuga like this.
  19. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

And their chocolate tastes like vomit.

20. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Only Hershey. There's a lot of good chocolate in the US now - just like there's a lot of good beer here. However the fruit and vegetables were incredibly poor when I lived in California in the late 90s / early 2000s - and expensive - I couldn't figure out why.

Mullardman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.