1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+14)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by sean99, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I'm sure it is - it's the DUP that is out of step.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The Good Friday Agreement is an international peace treaty. It mandates no hard border between NI/Eire. All this petty squabbling by trumped-up (I choose that phrase accurately) delusional idiots in the Tory party can’t be allowed to impact something so hard-won and with a history of such bloodshed. The EU are 100% right to treat May with the contempt she deserves on this one.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr, gavreid and ff1d1l like this.
  3. drummerman

drummerman pfm Member

European Research Group has agreed to support Brady's amendment.

4. twotone

twotone pfm Member

The EU won’t allow goods and people to cross its border into a non EU country which is why there will be a hard border if there’s no deal.

This ain’t rocket science.

5. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

The real point about the backstop of course is that Brexiteers hate it because they know there is no way to solve the problems of the Irish border so it effectively means we would stay in the EU customs union forever.

6. twotone

twotone pfm Member

With May’s deal Ireland effectively becomes a united Ireland

7. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Another dingbat fantasist.
    Just suppose we didn't pay the 39BN - which we owe, and have agreed we owe - just suppose we didn't pay it, what sort of trade deals might we subsequently attract, with a recent 39BN default, and what sort of rates might we be able to borrow at?

I'm glad you enjoyed the program. I've yet to see it.

Nick_G likes this.
  8. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

Why would the eu research group who are totally opposed to the eu do that? Beats me :)

9. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

They are voting on the Corbyn Unicorn Amendment now. There is no chance this passes.

10. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Thanks for the one liner, ET.
    So, our austerity measures were an EU order.
    Show me it. Show me when we were threatened.
    Show me the EU directive saying that although they had ended advocating austerity some years ago, we were to carry on with it regardless, under pain of some sort of EU sanction.
    Why would they, when we weren't even in the euro?

11. drummerman

drummerman pfm Member

Probably the first time I agree with you.

12. drummerman

drummerman pfm Member

:) yes ...

13. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

“We will have to find an operational way of carrying out checks and controls without putting back in place a border.” Michel Barnier, January 2019.

It's called Realpolitik. We'll undoubtedly be seeing more of it, and by no means just from the UK.

The EU isn't sticking up for a small member country. If it were, it would be looking for solutions, not obstructions. Varadkar is the EC's current useful idiot.

The Irish treasury is estimating that a hard brexit will knock 4 percentage points off of the country's GDP. That will take the smirk of Varadkar's face.

There was apparently a not unantagonistic conversation about Ireland's corporation tax regime at the Davos shindig last week. When the EC decides that the time's up, Ireland will be going under the bus. The EU is a fair weather friend.

14. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Cause it allows May to try to 'renegotiate' the 'backstop' with the EU but the real reason is to defeat Evette Cooper's amendment to extend A50.

15. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I didn't say anything about austerity in the UK being an EU order (though I wouldn't discount it). I said that austerity was an EU, and EU-wide, policy.

16. twotone

twotone pfm Member

BTW, if Scotland or Wales goes independent and both manages to obtain EU membership sometime afterwards then England will have to face this backstop issue again on both the Welsh and Scottish borders.

I would vote for Scottish independence tomorrow frankly.

17. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Grieve amendment now...

18. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Poor voted for Brexit, we are so concerned Brexit will affect the poor, stupid thicko racist right wing leavers, now which is it people?

eternumviti likes this.
  19. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

If technology and other methods are available to avoid a hard border-or will be as Brexiteers think-why are they nervous of the backstop?

Stephen

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  20. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Defeated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.