1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+14)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by sean99, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

So what is the status now? many of us on here are convinced it is hard Brexit time, but the currency markets have been buying Sterling in the belief that hard Brexit risk is much reduced. Who is right I wonder?

2. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

They've split on party lines by and large. Brady will pass today and we'll reconvene in a fortnight, but some interest still in Spelman

jackbarron likes this.
  3. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

Give it to them good and hard, you mean? I certainly sympathise with that sentiment.

4. andrewd

andrewd pfm Member

How do you feel about Scotland leaving the union too?
    Have you got a good stockpile of canned food?
    I think I’d rather move to Venezuela than the Little Engerland you crave.

5. wacko

wacko pfm Member

About bloody time. On a personal level that suits me in the short term. Can't think why I've been arguing for Remain.

6. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

I have literally just panic bought insulin on the internet.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The poor will pay for this mess regardless of whether they voted remain or leave. The financial spivs such as Farage, Banks, Rees-Mogg, Hannan etc who engineered the whole situation will all do fine with their shorting, offshore accounts and financial chicanery, but those at the bottom will get to see what austerity really looks like. I am prepared to bet that if we fail to avert this ugly nationalist stupidity the numbers queuing at food-banks or dying in shop doorways goes up, not down, and by quite some margin. It is just simple math: a recession/depression, which is inevitable, means more unemployed, less tax-revenue, and therefore less resources for our decaying public services. We’ll be lucky to even have enough police/army to take on the rioting gammon once the penny drops that they’ve been had!

twotone, TheDecameron, sean99 and 3 others like this.
  8. wacko

wacko pfm Member

I don't crave anything, especially little england. But I'm also now relaxed about Scotland leaving. In fact I'd try to move there.:)

9. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

But the only effect it has is to prevent an agreement that would cause a hard border in NI. Which everybody wants. It's only an issue if you think your Brexit fantasy is more important than the Good Friday Agreement.

10. andrewd

andrewd pfm Member

I’d move there too, to get back EU citizenship!!!

11. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

You didn't or you wouldn't have come up with that stupid reply.

12. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Here's the Spelman amendment...

13. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Aren't you tired of banging your head on this wall ? I am. They voted for it: bring it on. Some sh1t just has to be.

14. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

It is lunacy to set in stone one element of a complex negotiation until all moving parts are agreed. The govt have displayed negotiation skills to rival the Blair / Brown PFI deals.

15. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

It's total and utter CHAOS.

16. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

No, they exceeded that in the first month. And have gone from strength to strength since.

17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Some remarkably forceful and insightful comments from Chuka Ummuna on Sky just now. He really is in a whole different league to the idiots currently in charge of his party. The negative is mouthpiece for the criminally fraudulent Leave campaign Isobel bloody Oakshott is on too...

andrewd likes this.
  18. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

Whatever finally happens, it won’t happen until the last possible minute. Negotiations, or the pretence of negotiations, have to continue until then to avoid accusations of giving way too easily.

There won’t be a Customs Union, that would be crossing a Red Line. I suspect instead someone will suggest a Duty Synchronization Facilitation Policy, which won’t be the same thing at all in any way whatsoever and so will be passed by the HoC. At the last possible minute.

19. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

Isn't there some sort of emergency legislation that can put an end to this total idiocy by dissolving Parliament? If so, then I think we are getting to the point where it needs to be invoked. This is turning into potentially the most serious crisis for the UK since WWII.

andrewd likes this.
  20. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Spelman won!!! 318-310

Nick_G and andrewd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.