1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+16)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by zarniwoop, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Of course, there has never been any impediment to going above and beyond EU standards. In fact, the U.K. Has form in that regard, it is generally known as 'gold plating'. So claiming the UK would only be able to raise standards once free of the EU is, what's the word... Oh yes, a lie.

2. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Jesus. it may or may not need reform...but it is as a mewling babe compared to the advanced sophistication of shitshow we have. Give me some examples of the EU being found in contempt of parliament, of losing a vote and timewasting it down the road in the hope the ensuing panic will change how it is voted on, yet miraculously condemning a further referendum as undemocratic, of lying about the existence of impact studies, of ignoring parliaments will re the disclosure of information and documentation, of having a negotiator who lies, who did nothing for two years, Christ I just can't be bothered to write any more, it's too depressing but no doubt others will chime in.

Listen, I'd take direct rule by the EU IN A FVCKING HEARTBEAT over what we have. Any government present incumbents or whatever shitshow replaces them. Reform begins at home, and we are not even on the first step of the staircase which gives us any right to criticise the EU.

3. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I think most of progressive Europe recognises the need for reform - the key point is that this was the best opportunity that is/was likely to arise to push that agenda. The status quo is damaged goods.

4. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Look, we are in no position to advocate reform of anyone. Didn't you get that?

5. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Patronising comment aside, not now, no - that's all been p*ssed against the wall.

6. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Agreed.

7. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

No, the potatoes came from South America in the 16th century! Freed from the shackles of Europe, we can mead the way to a glorious trading future with Peru!
    [Dambusters theme to fade]

Nick_G likes this.
  8. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

9. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

I think it takes such actions to 1) harmonise markets and 2) secure legitimacy for the actions it takes in this regard, in the absence of a meaningful democratic mandate.

As regards populism, assuming that by this you mean right wing demagoguery, the EU seems to me to have responded in exactly the same way as most centrist national governments: they've attempted to outflank the right on immigration, while showing brazen disregard for accountability and an exaggerated confidence in technocratic forms of governance. With predictable results.

I'd rather be tied to these increasingly vague and heedless old fools than set adrift in a boat with outright lunatics, becoming the object of their bloodless animosity into the bargain. But still. I really don't see how anyone can positively like the EU.

eternumviti likes this.
  10. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

David Davis talking a lot of sense on Marr right now.

11. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Not doubting you but........?

12. tuga

tuga European

You mean invade Finland and keep one foot inside of the single market?

13. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I think he probably means 'in comparison to Andrew Marr'.

14. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Just a bit of Sunday morning gallows humour. Rumour has it we're all to be hanged by the neck in just over two weeks' time.

15. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

If only we had some way of showing irony on the net.

I suggest we use left-sloping italics-ironics.

Stephen

droodzilla likes this.
  16. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Still can’t read the name David Davis without hallucinating “Blind” in front of it. What’s that about?

17. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Youve had some really bad stuff?

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Woah yeah, woke up this morning,
    Had something impossible to do,
    Asked all my advisors,
    Still didn't have a clue.
    So I went to the Commons bar,
    And had a few scoops,
    Felt a bit better but my mind's still jumping hoops.
    Now I'm back in my office,
    Feeling sad and lone,
    If I can't sort Brexit I'll never find my way home.
    (Harmonica wails, guitar to fade).

TheDecameron, matt j, Seanm and 4 others like this.
  19. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Reverend Gary Davis?

20. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Bit of Sunday morning gammon humour.
    [​IMG]

Nero, TheDecameron, RogerJW and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.