1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+18)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by eternumviti, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

What proportion of Leave voters would you say voted in protest?

2. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

[​IMG]

Darmok likes this.
  3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Interesting take from Jolyon Maugham, which I've only just picked up on. Written on 21 March, so before the 12 April extension was confirmed. tl;dr the government seems to be ruling out all options before it. It has already ruled out no-deal. This may mean the only outcome would be a last minute revocation of Article 50. Maugham believes May could do it, rather than make her own legacy even more toxic that it already is.

https://waitingfortax.com/2019/03/21/we-have-one-shot-at-revocation-heres-how-we-take-it/

Nick_G likes this.
  4. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

5. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Surely she'd resign before doing that. The Tories have been after this opportunity for a generation.

6. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

If this is not a wind up

It doesn't matter.

The border thing is serious though. It won't be accepted by EU plod/insurance companies if it has a non green border.

7. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

I was prepared to believe him until I got to
    ...which even I, a Hard-alt-Sensible-Fondant-Centred-whatever-Remoaner wouldn’t try on.

8. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

If all comes to fruition regarding the thread of thought on here but when speaking to some at the time who voted in protest, when asked is this a vote to leave the EU, there was a resounding no, it was more to do with letting Cameron, who believed after many years of trouncing the so called "benefit scroungers", he had this country sussed and there was not a cat in hells chance of leaving, that his outlook was extremely flawed. When asked, you do realise there is a chance, if all is to be believed from the remain side that this could make you worse off, the answer was a resounded, who gives a ****, we have nothing anyway, let a few others experience the anxiety & helplessness of what we have had to endure for the last 6 years.

So I suppose it goes like this. For the last 3 years many here & like minded individuals around the country, including both our government & the EU, have been on panic alert, especially the last few weeks when no deal seemed a slam dunk, well double this feeling of anxiety while at the same time living in poverty & being told, not only by government but also those from around the country who couldn't really give a toss how any of this affects them, your all a worthless pile of trash who shouldn't have the right to vote or the right to a life.

My problem is, those here who want a second ref seem to have learned very little from any of this & continue to kick this can down the road, completely oblivious to how it will be received. There are no words to express how utterly dumb this is.

9. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Kill all leave supporters

This was a bloody obvious solution months ago. Apart from the dogmatic need to vote on the same bloody thing every week.

10. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Are these the people in your head you were debating with?

11. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Lot's here regarding voting statistics though have to say, you have missed the point, the amount is not the issue, the reasoning behind it is the issue & why many seem oblivious to it. The proof of which is on every Brexit thread in the country, after 3 years, staggering really.

Anyway, have fun
    https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2016...wake-up-call-in-the-fight-against-inequality/

12. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Yes, I did raise an eyebrow at that, too. But then I thought 'hell, Leave supporting politicos have been arguing that a 51.9/48.1 victory was conclusive enough to be irrefutable evidence of the WOTP, so bollocks, I'll go with it for now."

13. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

So the gang of cabinet ministers who went to see May at Chequers like to call themselves "The Grand Wizards"? The Tories don't really get irony do they.

14. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

Christ, that’s boring/hard work.

Ragaman likes this.
  15. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Not sure I agree. I admit to only a cursory skim of the link above, and I'm not a statistician (perhaps you can summarise what you take from it) but a couple of things emerged from the analytical blah-blah:

and
    Not being a statistician, or analyst, these two look contradictory to me, so I'd appreciate your take on his findings. But even if they aren't contradictory, they don't support a conclusion that this group voted leave as a protest, they just support a conclusion that this group voted leave. The rest is conjecture, which it'd be truly valuable if you could support with more than this.

16. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Wasting your own time.
    From a grown man, jeez.
    My 4 year old grandchild offers up more intellectual debate.

17. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

To be honest, you asked, I supplied but this sort of stuff is of little interest to me & to be Frank the percentages for who voted in protest against the government, against immigration, actually wanted to leave etc...is something I cannot answer as I have little interest in the Farage/Boris stuff or the immigration stuff, my area lies more with the inequality section.

I imagine there is something somewhere which shows how the votes were meted out.
    Point I was making was more to do with those who voted in protest against the government & the reasoning behind this decision, not so much how many made up this quota. The leave decision was split in many sections as you know, hard to say without some actual real data how many made up each section.

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

And that is the stupidity of it in a nutshell. If those who are non-productive/non-successful vote to make those who are scraping by or better redundant or otherwise worse off do you think homelessness, unemployment, levels of healthcare, social care etc will go up or down? Who do you think pays for the losers?! Where does benefit money, NHS, social care, education etc funding come from? The politics of spite and envy never works, and you can guarantee the poorest will get reamed in any economic downturn.

19. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Kill all leave supporters

5.6 million.

sean99 and twotone like this.
  20. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

You can't really call people losers and then go on about the politics of spite. Anyway, presumably those who did vote as a protest against the system had a political rather than a moral understanding of how it works - i.e. they understood that it had been engineered to make them losers, that the winners who "pay for them" would really rather they were dead than have to go on doing so, and that blowing up the system was really the only form of self-defence open to them.

Nigel and Ragaman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.