1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+2)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Buntobox, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

2. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Ahh OK. Peace, love and esperanto..

3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

My technique is to scribble notes, put them under the person’s nose then score them out and scrunch them up.

4. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Brexit: carmakers step up warnings on impact of uncertainty

I wonder if leave voters might finally accept that leaving the EU was a bad thing if we do lose the car industry?

European car makers are facing a double whammy though—Brexit and possible USA trade tariffs. Although I wonder how Americans will feel aboutan increase in car prices? US steel isn't going to make US-made cars cheaper.

Stephen

5. markvdv

markvdv pfm Member

First Trump proposed a fueltax, now this. Trump really wants Americans to buy smaller cars. He will get his Nobel prize, savior of the planet.

stephen bennett likes this.
  6. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

I've been in and out (been to the rEU, by golly), and I may have missed it, but we are now 2 days into the ever so slightly calamitous Italian election result, and there doesn't seem to be a single mention of it on this thread, or indeed on the forum.

Should I assume pfm's many-shaded resident EUphiles are collectively holding their hands over their ears and singing 'LA-LA-LA!', loudly, or is there something else going on?

7. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

there is not a lot so say until a government is formed and policies are agreed upon.

Why not start a thread about it if you are so interested in discussing it?

8. TheDecameron

The olde “we got out of the burning building in the nick of time” chestnut? Looks like UK car manufacturing is checking the fire exits as we speak.

9. TheDecameron

Youre a right little ball of contradictions aintcha?

lordsummit and HarryB like this.
  10. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Your version of facts? WTF. That is the most arrogant and nonsensical thing I've ever read.

Here is how it really is sunshine. There are facts and opinions. I'm interested in facts. Your opinions are neither here nor there though they do confuse me.

11. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

It's 'LA-LA-LA!' for me. If the EU falls because of nationalist xenophobic right-wing parties taking control of their Governments, we're f&UkRD in or out of the EU.

Still, it's what a lot of you want to happen.

Stephen

HarryB likes this.
  12. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Italy can, and has, functioned perfectly well without a strong Government. Perhaps it is actually the preferred result.
    The anti-immigration vote is understandable in a country with half a million illegal immigrants and some sort of solution does have to be found to it.

13. TheDecameron

Italy literally plucked drowning migrants from the sea and is supporting vast numbers of them, while a certain other country welched on its public commitment to take refugees. So to stand back and luxuriate in the difficulties Italy and the EU face from this human calamity, seems rather disgusting. It is the Ukip/ white ethnic nationalist way Im afraid.

14. markvdv

markvdv pfm Member

Well Italian result is anti-EU, not EU sceptic. But an all populist anti EU government seems unlikely, for now.

15. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I was in Naples 18 months ago and the number of migrants living on the streets is staggering. Around Piazza Garibaldi, the railway station area, there are hundreds. In the past there were very few, you just didn't see them. While I was there the Police had an armoured car parked outside the station 24 hours and armed police patrolling the area. I'm not surprised people are getting a bit concerned as to how to handle this.

16. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

it's the way of the world these days, Dec. Everything is fragmented. Noone can control anything any more because they can't herd people or categorise for targeting in the way they used to.

17. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

Ok to all of that except the arrogant bit. Why is it arrogant?

18. TheDecameron

Before the migrants arrived, Naples could have done with an armoured car outside the station. Last time I was there (during another infamous mafia-ordered refuse collection strike) I saw two guys shooting up herion on the concourse and ten min later two of us were mugged with violence on the pavement by six men in broad daylight - with pedestrians and cars going past. A friend who lived in Rome went down to attend the ordination of a priest he knew and got dropped off at the church by taxi. Later that evening he phoned the taxi company to come and collect him and they refused to send a car to that area in the dark. It has been a mafia run disaster area for decades.

19. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

This is the thread for exalting European liberalism. Another thread has been started to mourn it, and to suggest a few grown up alternatives to democracy.

20. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.