1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+20)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by farfromthesun, Apr 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

I did, though fell asleep. mrs. farfromtheun cried through the entire thing - she's from Dundalk.

twotone likes this.
  2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Attlee’s legacy is unquestionably huge, much of what we think of as the UK today, but he was hoofed out after a single term (well almost, he just edged it into a second term, but called another election and lost). Thatcher and Blair won landslides three times.

seagull likes this.
  3. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Share of vote was down to 35% in 2005. Brown took it down to 29% without tampering with the Blair formula. Up to 30% in 2015 with some half-hearted tweaks. Then up to 40% under Corbyn's narrow class warrior approach.

Times change. But focusing obsessively on the middle ground is never a sustainable strategy.

4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

The leader of the opposition “was asking for it” in other words. Either you don’t get how serious this is or more likely you do and are trying to launder it. I said before, the culprits and those amplifying the messaging need to be prosecuted and investigated for any extremist links. This stuff fanned by the likes of Francois and other prominent Tories will eventually lead to physical attacks.

stevec67 likes this.
  5. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

No, I didn't say that, I didn't condone it, and you know perfectly well that I didn't. I said that the paras probably don't care much for Corbyn. Don't put words into my mouth.

6. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Good illustration of how passive support for right wing extremism works, all this.

7. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Oh, and yes, I agree that there needs to be an investigation.

8. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

But he was, largely, right in the end. Once Thatcher had gone Major was able to set up a back channel and before long there was a process and then a lasting peace settlement. So just about the only undeniably good thing politicians have managed in my lifetime started with dropping the "we never talk to terrorists" rhetoric.

I also note this was largely a deal made under Major and then Blair and if anything is to be learned its that for the really big problems we need to step outside of partisanship to get things done.

9. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

PS the last thing I want to talk about is the history of Northern Ireland, not least as I am far from an expert. My only real view on the conflict now is that preserving the GFA and peace in the region is the single most important aspect of Brexit and that all right thinking people are essentially in agreement here.

10. TheDecameron

“The Paras probably don’t care much for Corbyn”. Translates into publishing images of themselves firing into a photograph of his face. The message was transmitted and it was received. Your posts smell of collusion to me, even through the parfum EV.

twotone, HarryB and Bob McC like this.
  11. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Yes, as above.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Just split the thread again as it was getting so unwieldy. I did so at the point the BBC 4 Documentary Border Country: When Ireland Was Divided was mentioned. I’ve just watched it and it should be compulsory viewing for every moron that thinks a ‘no deal’ Brexit is a good thing, or that it is even possible.

PS It doesn’t even mention Brexit once!

Brian S, twotone, kendo and 2 others like this.
  13. TheDecameron

The ERG would sell out the GFA to get their Brexit, we’ll find out just how precious Mogg’s “Precious Union” really is. The DUP are entirely expendable, along with N.Ireland.

14. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Worth remembering too that Gove, a likely candidate for next leader, is actively hostile to the GFA.

HarryB likes this.
  15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I can really see it all starting up again, in fact the restraint from the Republican side up to this point has been amazing IMO.

16. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Well, life's full of surprises!

I stated an opinion - the paras probably don't care much for Corbyn - which is also certainly a fact, and one - but to the hard of thinking - clearly pertinent to the incident. In the free-speech suppressive world of the regressive left, this becomes twisted into 'collusion'.

The fact that the squaddies chose a picture of JC as a target rather than one of Galtieri, Goebbels or Attilla the Hun is pretty likely to be because JC serves as their bete noir of the week. The fact that I say so (as I am, for the time being at least, free to do) neither implies sympathy nor collusion.

Actually, I find the whole thing rather revolting, and very sad. I spend a lot of time amongst the war graves which are scattered so thick across Europe, and this kind of thing makes for an ugly legacy for all those young lives.

17. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Can't see it starting up again in earnest as there isn't the popular will or (I'm assuming!) the military capacity. But I can see it getting a bit hairy. The ignorance and contempt is just breathtaking. Gove, Bradley, all of them - idiot descendents of the dregs of Empire.

18. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Last paragraph is the perfume Dec mentions. The rest is collusion.

19. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

This is the repression of free speech by the regressive left, something of a feature of the times. I expect it from 'Dec'. Sad to see it coming from you.

20. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Not just me then ...

Think the Brexiteers are bad? Meet the Brincels

"Then there is “pre-washed potato magnate” Bridgen, a Royal Marine drop-out with a striking physical resemblance to Francois, whose family vegetable farm is said to be behind the unkind nickname colleagues have for him: “spud-u-hate”.

Same man. It's the same man.

Stephen

TheDecameron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.