1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+21)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ff1d1l, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

And ignoring such advice is proving such a success for Labour! ;-)

2. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

That necessitates a leadership that listens?

3. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Sad but true.

The sad fact is, this country has no interest in enabling someone who could possibly provide equality & opportunity to the masses. This will never be popular amongst the wealthy & no matter how Corbyn handled Brexit, those who want to keep the status quo will do anything within their power to make sure he is beaten at every step.

Thankfully the guy has a focus rare in politics & will never pander to mass appeal at the expense of those he represents. His integrity through all of this should be applauded.

4. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Absolutely. A man with honesty and integrity at his core. But yes despised by the sort of people who voted for a bunch of LibDem shysters who had zero integrity.

5. johnhunt

johnhunt pfm Member

Hilarious

6. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

:D

Jack

7. tones

tones Tones deaf

Not too many original Australians to be found in Victoria, so, yes, the originals have been essentially exterminated. And of course they were deliberately exterminated in Tasmania.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboriginal_Tasmanians

8. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Evidence?

9. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Go on.....

10. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

tuga and TheDecameron like this.
  11. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Why do you think this is so unlikely Sean? I'm thinking:

1. Boris Johnson stands a decent chance of becoming Tory leader. He has massive support among party members and would probably win any head to head contest. Many MPs dislike him but they might support him anyway, if they believe he can revive their electoral fortunes.

2. If not Johnson, it's almost certain that the next leader of the Conservative Party will support a hard Brexit.

3. The vote against a No Deal Brexit was 321 to 278. It would only take 30 or so Tories to change their minds. Again, this could easily happen if enough Tory MPs conclude that the electorate would prefer No Deal to No Brexit (or a second referendum).

I think the only thing protecting us against a No Deal Brexit is a small group of (relatively) "sensible" Tories. But I wonder if they'll stand by their principles if their seats are at risk. I suspect that most Tory MPs will go with the flow when the party lurches even further to the right under a new leader, especially if they recoup some of the coters currently lost to BP/UKIP.

I agree that there's very little, if anything, Corbyn can do about any of this.

Weekender likes this.
  12. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Labour tearing themselves to bits on This Week at present with John Nicholson and Melanie Onn both laying into Corbyn and the increasingly smug alt-righter Portillo unable to keep a straight face whilst they dig their hole. Even as a non-Labour voter it is painful to watch.

14. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

I think Boris might be happy to say "F__k business!" but he's not going to actually do it: and even if he is there are enough Tories who aren't - I'd say the majority against no deal would go up if Boris were to come out on top, and a few more (all that's needed) would find the bottle to support a public vote . This might seem complacent but I'm not counting on Tories being sensible or principled I'm counting on them being venal and self-serving: it's not just the party that would be f__ked forever if they push through no deal, it would be every one of them, individually, who isn't in the pay of the tiny sliver of the establishment that actually wants it. The likes if Spreadsheet Phil are just not going to give up the sinecures coming their way to give Boris a few months in office. The ranks will close.

15. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

16. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

17. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

I'm saying the focus has to be the next GE. There's no point trying to salvage the EU elections if it costs the GE.

18. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

No. History will show this mess is due entirely to the tory party.

History will show that no other party had anything to do with there being a referendum to leave the EU.

History will show the reason the referendum happened was an attempt to hold the conservative party together, that they put party interest ahead of the country.

History will show how Cameron ran away from his responsibilities when the majority voted to leave the EU, it will show that they did so influenced greatly by the previous years of unnecessary, ideological austerity.

If you must apportion blame away from the tory party you should look to the LibDems and their supporters who enabled a tory govt. This will all be of greater historical importance than Labour not doing everything your way.

A major political party cannot simply ignore the outcome of the referendum without there being consequences, minor parties can say whatever idealistic nonsense they like secure in the knowledge they won’t ever have to actually do anything.

Labour is trying to force the govt of the day into something the majority of the population will accept without further fracturing of our country. They are trying to prevent a tory hard brexit. This is no easy task given Labour does not have the numbers in parliament plus the blind intransigence of some remainers, who want it all their way despite the result of the referendum.

History will show Labour did as well as was possible given the reality of the situation.

19. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

The YouGov poll seemed to be saying that Labour have lost Remain voters and had made no headway in winning Leave voters.

20. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Which is what the PFM remain massiv has been saying for three years.

Stephen