1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+22)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by TheDecameron, May 29, 2019.

1. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

17 labour abstentions too...on the nod from Magic Grandpa?

More than the the tories 12...even...

2. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

Ian Blackford's tweet helpfully lists the backsliders https://twitter.com/IanBlackfordMP/status/1138855220837015558

3. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

4. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

Seems like the winning around process is going slightly backwards, then.

5. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Most of the Labour abstentions were paired with Tories - which explains the Tory abstentions too.

ff1d1l and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  6. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

I agree. But I've always thought he was all talk.

Dominic Grieve on the other hand is looking more like a man of principle. His days as Conservative are numbered. As are Stewart's.

Stephen

7. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

The Tories have welched on pairing votes before- most infamously, Jo Swinson’s when she was having a baby. Where were all these Tory MPs? Let me guess- at their leadership launches or at their French villa. Pairing should only be for absence in exceptional circumstances like serious illness. That 25 Labour MPs voted with or abstained to let the Tories defeat another move to prevent a hard Brexit is utterly shameless and Ive no doubt this will be the final nail in their coffin in Scotland . Good f***ing riddance.

andrewd, Konteebos and sean99 like this.
  8. stephen bennett

I did think of another route out of the Brexit mess last night.

Rename the May bill the ‘Boris’ bill. That’s more friendly.

Rename the backstop the ‘help our chums’ clause.

That’ll get the deal through.

Stephen

9. Nero

Nero It's unlikely

I think Tom Kibasi's analysis is the only one that makes any sense now. If we assume, and we must, that the whole game is to keep the Tories in one piece, and in control of the country, a GE as we face the cliff-edge is a given. No-one will vote for Farage's lot if no-deal is in a Tory manifesto

sean99 likes this.
  10. stephen bennett

So the bill to try and give parliament the power to stop a no deal Brexit passed because of Labour abstainers and those voting with the Government.

Stephen

11. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

Opposition* playing possum?

*(Hah!)

12. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

In fairness they had some help.

13. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

From the article:
    "The intention is to set the stage for a snap general election in October, where he will blame an intransigent and unreasonable EU – the same game he has played for nearly 30 years.

If an October general election does occur, no deal will in all likelihood be the Conservative manifesto, a political imperative created by the rise of the Brexit party and by May’s years of foolish posturing that “no deal is better than a bad deal”. Expect Nigel Farage to stand down his army of Brexit extremists once he has achieved his goal of radicalising the Conservatives."
    He can't have a snap GE without the support of other parties in Parliament, and specifically Labour have the numbers to prevent it. If it looked likely that Tom Kibasi's analysis was correct and Johnson wanted a snap election to increase the number of Tory MPs to force through no deal, would Labour consider the risk that by voting for an election they might enable a Tory hard Brexit and 5 more years?

14. Nero

Nero It's unlikely

This thread often seems to come back to fathoming Labour's thoughts, but they are always on the back foot. Surely, all the government at the time has to do is resign, go and see Brenda, and a GE follows?

15. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

If that's the case then what is the point of the fixed term Parliament act? I'd expect that under those circumstances Labour would be invited to try to form a government?

16. simon g

simon g Grumpy Old Man

No, that's how it used to be. Fixed term parliaments is the current position.

17. Nero

Nero It's unlikely

So how did Treeza do it? So much has happened in the last two years, I can't keep up!

18. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

Parliament voted for it

19. stephen bennett

Who from?

You can't say The Tories of DUP as they are both keen on Brexit in any way they can get it through.

Labour could have brought the new Johnson cabinet to the sensible table, if those Labour MPs had voted for it.

As it is, those MPs are culpable for whatever happens.

Stephen

20. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Yes, they are - along with the Conservative Party. Don't know what you mean by the Johnson sensible table though.