1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+24)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by eternumviti, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Shome mishtake shurely... 'bias from Murdoch'?

2. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

3. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

He’s correct of course. I don’t see reports of the EU making contingency plans to fly in medicine or stockpile raw materials.

wacko, Cav, Bob McC and 2 others like this.
  4. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Or tying itself to a trade deal with a much bigger country which will be asking us (ie requiring us) to follow its lead in every foreign adventure it decides to embark upon. 'Taking back control', then handing it to someone a great deal less scrupulous than the EU.

5. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Sums up Jeremy Corbyn's position and the non-idea that is a 'unity government' rather well.

"Mr Corbyn wants a Corbyn government and he isn’t supremely bothered about Brexit. Are there really still people out there who haven’t captured this point by now?

As I’ve been arguing for the past three years, Mr Corbyn doesn’t mind whether Britain has free movement of capital because he doesn’t believe in capital. And he was always likely to endorse a second referendum only when it was too late to actually have one.

He’d be perfectly content to fight an election in which we left the EU before election day. He’d express horror that the Tories had let such a thing happen. And dismay at the crisis of capitalism. It would be like the scene in Casablanca where Captain Renault closes down Rick’s café and exclaims that he is shocked to discover gambling has been going on, while simultaneously pocketing his winnings."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/a-national-unity-government-will-never-fly-lbcpd2tbz

lordsummit likes this.
  6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

farfromthesun, andrewd and jackbarron like this.
  7. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

ff1d1l and stephen bennett like this.
  8. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

9. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Of course not. Brexit sweeps away such pettiness.
    ps hint the GDP rankings are in $.

10. tones

tones Tones deaf

I'm coming to Belfast to visit my mother in September. Given the way sterling is going against the Swiss franc, I'm debating whether I should buy the entire UK when I'm in town.

11. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Yes please. Can we be a canton ?

sean99 and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  12. tones

tones Tones deaf

It depends who "we" are - I can imagine Scotland fitting in. On the other hand, given that the English reputation for pragmatic good sense has taken somewhat of a beating over the last few years, I can't imaging the Bundesrat being terribly excited about admitting England.

13. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

The Glaswegian decorators celebrating the death of press scrutiny.

14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Quite. Not sure we’re safe to let loose with too many referendums.

wacko likes this.
  15. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

But the more radical element of the "staunch vegetarians" will break away to form the "true vegans" , they won't talk to each other, and then where will we be?

16. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

It appears Philip Hammond's new look for summer is feisty https://twitter.com/PhilipHammondUK/status/1161397591906689024

"Mr Hammond accuses Dominic Cummings, Mr Johnson’s most senior aide, of attempting to force through a no-deal Brexit."

I wonder if he can come up with a realistic (or maybe make that 'not stupid') plan where the likes of Grieve, Lucas and McDonnell have failed?

Probably not.

17. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

The UKIP website...no...
    The EDL website...er
    The telegraph...wait...
    Weatherspoons brexit magazine...no...
    The mail...gulp
    The sun...nargh
    Slid in slyly in the supposedly remain times? No?

Must then be some source you're not familiar with?
    And therefore very probably factual?

TheDecameron and tqineil like this.
  18. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I like the idea of a Wetherspoons Brexit magazine. Take back control of your bladder.

19. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

Given the demographic of leave voters, unlikely.

20. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

And this is how it works in the wonderfully democratic UK now. The paper will not have to apologise or print a retraction and the myth gets passed around the rest of the press and very quickly becomes 'the truth'. It's how Leave managed to persuade a large number of people (those less able to think for themselves shall we say) to vote for Brexit. Lies and no accountability... none! We are sort of all to blame for this as we've let it happen.

When Cameron decided not to implement Leveson (despite promising he would) I had numerous exchanges with my then MP, Jake Berry, over it. I was trying to explain to him that people believe the press and that while a free press is notionally a great idea, with freedom comes responsibility and they were and are irresponsible in that they publish lies that a certain section of the people believe as 'it's in the papers, it must be true'. I was of course wasting my time and being extremely naive as with the benefit of hindsight having the press in their pocket was a key aim of Cameron's government and the Leveson stick gave them the power to do that.

To be frank this is all part of a 'perfect storm' that includes getting a right wing government in via the back door, but we are all complicit in letting it happen to an extent. When Gordon Brown got 'elected' the same way I was one of many calling for electoral and parliamentary reform so that it could not happen again, but we didn't shout loudly enough and while Brown wasn't a great PM his core beliefs weren't a million miles from what had gone before... so it mattered less... but the writing was on the wall and now we have paid the price. Johnson, Raab, Gove, Patel... etc. Cummings running the ship. It's genuinely frightening.

So the next time we get the chance to change things... if we do... to make things fairer and more honest... we need to stand up taller and shout more loudly until we get somewhere. Sighing and hoping things will get better ... well I think that has been proved not to work :)

jay, sean99, Brian and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.