1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+24)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by eternumviti, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Juncker pointing out the bleeding obvious. If the UK has indeed voted to blow its own brains out the EU is going to need a new carpet, but it's not going to be *quite* as badly off.

Nick_G, ff1d1l, TheDecameron and 2 others like this.
  2. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Low-budget Chris Grayling, Grant "who am I?" Shapps, was being interviewed by Nick Robinson this morning. He was explaining how they are putting £200m out to tender for emergency supplies post-Brexit, including airlifts.

Robinson was flabbergasted by the fact that a minister of the UK Government had no problems admitting that they are preparing to airlift in medicine and emergency supplies to help in an emergency that we ourselves are creating.

However, Robinson didn't ask a question I wanted asking.

Shapps said that "they hadn't spent a penny" on these preparations yet, but surely they will whatever happens in November? What company would bid for a £200m contract without knowing they would at least get back costs if they were not eventually required?

I recall Grayling said the same before he had to admit that he'd blown loads of cash for nothing.

'Budget responsibility' my a%s!.

Stephen

Nick_G and TheDecameron like this.
  3. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Brittany Ferries and DFDS got £43 million between them when the March contract for Brexit deliveries was cancelled.

4. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

In the unlikely event of Brexit occurring then most of Europe will slip into recession; still as you say the UK will be worse off, closely followed by the south of Ireland.

5. stephen bennett

It really pi$$es me off when these people are not challenged robustly.

Robinson could have brought that up. The implication was 'we won't pay unless we need to pay' so no need to worry.

Stephen

6. stephen bennett

There is no country called the 'South of Ireland.'

The Republic of Ireland will be fine. The EU will protect its smaller states one way or another. The EU's ability to absorb Brexit is much greater than ours—that's what comes of being a bigger, richer, institution.

Stephen

7. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Usually you get ‘Eire’ dismissively from the Brexit/land of hope and glory plucky few on pfm. As in how dare they try to dictate to Britain, “the tail wagging the dog” or “they’re been used by the EUSSR to get back at Britain etc etc.

8. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

We must not make that mistake again on October 31st. Putting £43 million which as you imply is a vast amount of money, is about a quarter of one weeks net contribution the UK pays to the EU.

9. stephen bennett

I hope that wasn't meant for me!

Stephen

10. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^^ The Republic of Ireland is already significantly richer on GDP per head measures than the UK. Thanks to smart exploitation of EU membership.

11. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Again you fail to consider what that money provides in terms of access to the largest free market in the world. The benefits, to the country as a whole, of being a member of the EU far outweigh the cost of belonging to the 'club'.

kendo, Nick_G, Barrymagrec and 2 others like this.
  12. TheDecameron

Ha, no, I’m thinking of two anti-EU contributors. The use being more “the little Free Staters”.

stephen bennett likes this.
  13. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

Would that be similar to previous financial assistance to the Republic of Ireland which has resulted in 50% of tax raised being used to pay the interest on loans.
    I hope they have plenty of assets because as in the case of Greece and Italy that is the next step of the money men.

14. TheDecameron

I think there are more pressing economic matters at home to deal with. How long will Wetherspoons be able to keep their prices down? It’s a case of we might be in the shit but look over there- we’re going to put them in the shit as well. How very ukippy. Put your bottom lip out and say these magic words- “mustn’t grumble”.

15. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

And lose control of your gag reflex...

16. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Yes, but that was money down the drain. The EU contribution comes back many times over.

17. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Not a good idea. Th EU are getting on well with comprehensively shafting the Swiss at the moment - not much reported in the UK but it is a serious issue.

eternumviti likes this.
  18. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Not only are the gvt preparing to contract ferry companies again, they are also planning to hire aircraft to airlift supplies in.

That won’t come cheap.

Unless they are going to ask Ryanair and EasyJet passengers if they could put a few phials of insulin and say a couple of bananas in their luggage on the way back from Their hols!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 2:12 PM
    stephen bennett likes this.
  19. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

20. tones

tones Tones deaf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.