1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+25)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ff1d1l, Aug 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Great alternative truth narrative. That will be why ROI citizens hate the EU and look at brexit and the UK governments handling of it with such undisguised and unconcealed envy.

TheDecameron, kendo and tonerei like this.
  2. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

A truth narrative, whichever way you choose to look at it.

Why would the Irish look at the UK government's handling of Brexit with envy?

More like awe at the lengths TM went to to keep the UK in the EU CU orbit whilst pretending otherwise, I should think.

3. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

I much prefer this version:

[​IMG]

4. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Er, no.

5. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

That's bl00dy great.

TheDecameron and Nick_G like this.
  6. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

I only came across it a couple of days ago, and it made me laugh.

7. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

eternumviti appears to have swallowed various Wikipedia entries on Ireland and is (very) busily vomiting them all over the forum. Ewww. The smell...

8. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Wikipedia? If you like, but no.

What are your alternative truths?

9. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

No, the only Brexit agreement is no deal.

10. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

Facts are not welcome.

11. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

Fact me 'til I fart.

TheDecameron and Colin L like this.
  12. jay

jay built for speed

If you knew what those two words meant you wouldn’t be putting them together! Someone no doubt has the link, but doesn’t ROI have one of the highest EU approval ratings? That could be relevant to the people living in the country.

What have we learnt? Apparently it’s all very well pointing out that someone’s house is on fire when you’re standing in the middle of the bonfire you yourself lit, which in turn set their house on fire. Colin likes yelling burn baby burn and we deeply deeply care about orange farmers and developing free trade all over the world whilst wanting to slash our world development fund.

Good neighbours work together in both good times and bad. The sick man of Europe turns out to be a good time Charlie.

13. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

This is shoot the messenger time. Pointing out the financial plight of the republic of Ireland and the consequences of a no deal on them if they toe the EU party line is not yelling burn baby burn. But now you mention it that is what the EU is prepared to do to a member state to ensure the survival of the federal state. If you think that the EU will fork out free cash assistance it is unlikely, unless you know different?

If 'by slashing world development fund' you are referring to my comment on why are we giving money to set up companies in India when their government is firing rockets into space then yes i do believe the development cash in that case should be spent on setting up businesses in the UK.

14. jay

jay built for speed

My last point is very simple. ROI will have a lot of powerful friends to help when the chips are down. We’ll have some previously abusive and neglected relationships in which we now wish to be best mates...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  15. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

So there we have it. In two days nobody has raised a single properly thought out and researched argument against the points that I have made regarding Ireland and the part that the EU has played in its rise and fall. Nobody has countered the figures that I gave on economic growth, or lack of it, in the decade and a half after the Republic joined the EEC in 1972, my points about how misleading Irish GDP figures are due to the distortions of multinational intellectual property, the false advantages of the favourable Corporation tax regime, the appalling debt to GDP/GNP figures, or the highest per capita/GDP debt ratio in the EU, the economic destruction caused by the introduction of the Euro, the cost of the loss of fisheries when compared with the gains of EU membership, the countercyclicality of the Irish economy with that of the EU when 2/3rds of its exports of goods and services are to the US/UK, the ECB/EC/IMF mugging when things turned bad, the clearly recorded history of successive Europhile Irish government chicanery in defiance of the most basic principle of the Irish Constitution, etc, etc, etc.

These are documented facts, and they are palapable, provable truths. And what do I get in response?

All of the above, and precisely nothing of substance to refute a single shred of what I have said. A series of pathetic attempts at belittling put-downs, culminating in a majestically perfect girl's playground shriek 'Oooh look, Mary-Jane's been sick, and it really smells. Eeeew!'. I mean, really?

If you really believe that I am wrong, make the case, properly ffs. There's another side to everything, there's nothing I've said that can't be properly challenged. Truth isn't linear, or simple. Thank God PsB's not active on this thread at the moment. He would be tearing shreds off of me, but at least we would be having a debate, and I would have to raise my game and exercise some rigour. You lot make it too easy.

Brian and PhilofCas like this.
  16. tonerei

tonerei pfm Member

Ah ET I asked you a simple question is there any democracy that rocks your boat that you reckon is the utopia that should be pursued? No answer. Surely that is an easy one?

All your huge lengthy posts are just opinions with a host of facts jumbled around. I have lived in Ireland all my life. We are on a different planet now compared to the sixties and seventies.
    EU membership and getting out from the stranglehold of the UK has brought huge prosperity. Yes definitely like a lot of democracies including the UK who were not in the Euro we had a banking crisis.
    The US had a meltdown also. Asian economies have had recessions etc etc. You mangle a range of facts and present them as a negative and all down to EU membership. Sorry it is not a coherent and is not true. It is your opinion so fine have it.

Our fishing industry for example is like the UK's was way underdeveloped. The mistake our government and country made at that time was not to get their act together and get a decent fleet together to compete. We are learning as we go.
    As so many others have pointed out to you the EU is ultimately a win for members. You can't think like Boris and expect that you have to take everything and give nothing. That is how he appears to act in his private life. His vision for the UK is similar. It aint' going to happen. He might get his Brexit but it will not be pretty for the majority.

Still, SteveS1, andrewd and 1 other person like this.
  17. tonerei

tonerei pfm Member

They ain't facts Colin. Any cursory glance at economic stats will show how well Ireland has done over the last 30 years. The aberration is the crash in 2008. That has left us and most european countries in a weaker position.
    But we are not alone. US debt is mind boggling. Japan has flat lined for nearly two decades. It is not all rosy in the garden.Unless BJ and his merry men have a demonstrable plan to increase and spread economic gain to the many moving outside of the EU is just an Etonian debating class game.

kendo, Still and SteveS1 like this.
  18. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

That offer was for CB but there's plenty to go around.
    No time wasters, please.

19. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I’m ‘avin it.

20. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

But you don’t seem to understand the meaning of many facts. You cut and paste snippets of unrelated facts and data you don’t often understand but hope some will stick in the memory of the reader or as embellishments to the case you’re attempting to make. Much of it’s quite comical as several folk have pointed out to you. But back you come, same tune on the penny whistle of parochial ignorance.

Still and Bob McC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.