1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+5)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by droodzilla, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

That’s pleasing to know, i.e. either half is useless without the other. Any good opposition party should be a) trying to avert the ongoing disaster that is Brexit (obviously), and b) highlighting how destructive those Conservative Party divisions are at every possible opportunity and how it leads to a party utterly incapable of government. It is huge a shame the only good opposition we have in the UK is the SNP!

2. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Before the 2017 election the split among Tory MPs looked like this:

[​IMG]
    Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35616946

So roughly 60:40 in favour of Remain but close enough to 50:50 to cause real problems in the parliamentary party.

Around 60-80 of those Tory MPs are members of the hard-Brexit loony fringe (the ERG crew).

According to Ashcroft, this split closely matches the split among Conservative voters: https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

I don't have any numbers but I would bet good money that among Tory Party *members* the percentage of Leave voters is significantly higher.

3. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

HarryB likes this.
  4. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

Nice to see the UK fully prepared to take on all comers by dropping four places to 35th in the world for broadband speed. Behind Madagascar, should be able to kick some serious technology ar*e with that performance.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44778017

andrewd and stephen bennett like this.
  5. HairyHaggis

HairyHaggis <((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>¸.

ah...ummm

a lot of presumption, assumption and prediction. just one more person's take on the whole mess. maybe right, maybe wrong. though i did agree with his assertions on florence and davis.

as an ambivalent listener, an interesting listen, from a clearly far-left idealogue. with a touch of pragmatism

6. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Experts, eh? :)

7. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Not possible. He's bombproof. Totally immune to events on anything and everything. He doesn't even need the NHS.

8. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

The village two away from me doesn't have broadband. Has a post office as well. I'm not sure how that works.

9. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

10. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

George Clinton should drop the funk bomb on Mecalisto. Only then will we be certain that he’s bombproof.

Joe

HarryB and Still like this.
  11. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

12. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

It's a start. Shame we're near the end.

13. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

Reaction from Rees-Mogg: "It is hard to see that any of this meets the promises Mrs May made in her earlier speeches. We have not known such vassalage to the
    continent since King John paid homage to the King of France [in 1200]"

It may read like a parody, but it is genuine https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1017381591239315456

The Tory civil war is here. How many troops can Mogg muster?

And then there's the small matter of EU reaction, which is unlikely to be positive. May is likely to get squashed.

14. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

15. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

He’s not waiting, he’s struck out for Agincourt already-

[​IMG]

“God’s silly vassal”.

(attr. James Melville 1596)

Alex S, Darmok and sean99 like this.
  16. TheDecameron

Robin Capsper Walker- new boy, under-somethingorother at DEXEU was bullshitting for all he was worth on R4 just now. Reheating the “leaders in global free trade/ America is our biggest trade partner for goods and services/ all the growth outside EU”.How much would it all cost once we leave the EU? - “not my area” (sic). Magical new systems not yet invented to cover it all.

Still likes this.
  17. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

The full Mogg quote is: “This is the greatest vassalage since King John paid homage to Phillip II at Le Goulet in 1200. This White paper has not needed age to turn yellow.”

Verhofstad's European Parliament Brexit Steering Group (BSG) has responded. It's positive...

"In particular, the BSG welcomed that the UK is proposing that the future EU-UK relationship take the form of an Association Agreement. Given this has been the Parliament’s position from the very beginning the BSG agrees with this approach which would place the future EU-UK relationship in all its dimensions - economic, sectoral, security, foreign policy - on a firm footing within a coherent governance structure."

But...

"there will be, for example, no space for outsourcing EU‘s customs competences."

So the cake-y bits on the single market won't fly. And the ERG would vomit if they had to eat those cake-y bits. Big problems.

18. TheDecameron

The yoof vote will really connect with that..

19. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

Great insight into Johnson here http://ukandeu.ac.uk/mays-brexit-showdown-has-made-her-a-stronger-prime-minister/

"Boris was a mistake for a different reason. The prime minister underestimated the extent to which the former Foreign Secretary is reviled in European capitals, where he is seen as someone who lied and dissembled to wrench the United Kingdom out of the EU."

As for his Brexit plans... "I awaited his words of wisdom. “You know Chris”, he said, “we’ve just got to get out. We can worry about all of this other stuff later. I think we’ve just got to leave”. Stunned that this was all one of the main architects of Brexit had to offer, all I could say was “you know what Boris, I’d noticed”."

And an interesting link in the comments to this https://www.facebook.com/groups/4781134935/permalink/10156573901954936/ describing Owen Paterson MP today "physically shaking with anger." He is quoted as saying: “This is much worse than we thought. We have been lied to. This document breaks Manifesto commitments. It’s really, really bad. We will not be able to vote to support any of this. This has to be stopped. The anger around this place is shocking right now."

What an absolute mess. I think we're heading for a crash-out in March and something resembling the Soviet Union after the fall of Communism. The Moggs of this world will be a new class of oligarch. Boris will play the role of Yeltsin.

20. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Why would there be a crash out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.