1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+6)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ff1d1l, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Leaving the Dim Bastards March (renamed especially in honour of its new re purposing). How very appropriate.

2. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

No, I really don't. Intergovernmental accord doesn't require political union of any sort. I agree on the matter of ceding such sovereignty as is only necessary for those accords to be regulated, as in by intergovernmental bodies of one sort or another, but this need not come close to the EU project's ambitions.

I'm not sure that I understand the question, beyond it being the same dodgy conceit as the oft posited one ' name an EU law that affects you personally' (there are 22,000 of them, so quite a lot I suspect). The UK opt-outs are clearly relevant to the debate, but I imagine increasingly irrelevant to the future of the EU, and to our influence within it were we to stay. But yes, Lord Hill's better off just inside the fence than just outside is an argument that I respect, even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

Sorry about the parables. I've never been any good at the precis.

3. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Holst was German?! Nonsense, he was as English as me, and he lived just up the road. By coincidence I listened to a fabulous performance of Elgar's Enigma Variations in his parish church three weeks ago. Nimrod was a triumph.

https://www.thaxtedfestival.org.uk/junior-guildhall-symphony-orchestra.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustav_Holst#/media/File:The_Manse_-_geograph.org.uk_-_845330.jpg

P.S. Land of Hope & Glory makes me flinch.

4. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

And Handel. And the Royal Family, presumably they're house in Saxe-Cobourg.

5. gingermrkettle

gingermrkettle Deep vein trombonist

From a German family, who only dropped the von from von Holst the generation above him.

6. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

EV I was conscious of the ‘give me one example’ thing when I wrote the post, but hoped that you’d be able to see past it to my genuine enquiry. Clearly you think the EU goes too far, but you seem to accept that some degree of common cause is necessary, so I’m trying to see where you draw the line, and I’m none the wiser. If I could understand where and why your line is where it is, I might be able to get on board with your argument, but if it’s simply an inchoate dislike, then I am lost to you, sorry.

7. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I see you've missed out God Save The Queen. Probably for the best as it's the Prussian national anthem but with different words. Shouldn't we take back control and get a new one?

8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

The Benny Hill theme might not be entirely inappropriate

Still and TheDecameron like this.
  9. gingermrkettle

gingermrkettle Deep vein trombonist

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I hear that Saxony is very nice at this time of year.

11. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Like I said, as English as me.

12. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I don't know, and my brain won't engage any more, too many other things to do. Suffice it to say, a long, long way south of where the EU is ideologically placed.

13. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

I’ve noticed that you sell Austrian (and Alsatian) wines, but no German ones. Is this an ideological choice, or is there no call for them amongst your clientele?

14. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

You'll be eating your words come next April. Though I suppose at least you won't go hungry...

farfromthesun likes this.
  15. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

16. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I’d wash the manure from the garden lettuce though, antibiotics may be in short supply.

17. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Wonderful, beautiful wines, but no market for them.

18. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

Perhaps you need to improve your business skills.
    The Wine Society does a roaring trade selling these.

Man rejects utopia but buys Brexit lies.

I didn't get where I am today without knowing a Rochdale Herald headline when I see one.

TheDecameron likes this.
  19. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

It's an informed list. Such indeed is the eerie silence around May's meeting with Macron, to sell him her Chequers deal, that I'd completely forgotten about it.

Jack

20. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

They’re filling in the potholes in the WW2 Kent airfields and wheeling out the knackered old Buccaneers to show the Franco-German axis we mean business. Raab has volunteered to have himself strapped to a 500 pounder. At least he’ll be good for something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.