1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+7)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by stephen bennett, Sep 27, 2018.

1. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

The UK Government care little about British citizens in the EU, EU ones in the UK, NI, Gibraltar, business, jobs, the economy or the people who didn't vote to leave the EU.

You're not a priority Rich. Never was—the only priority for the Conservative party is the Conservative party.

Stephen

HarryB and Mullardman like this.
  2. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

Why would it?, they would much prefer high skilled, high wage earning individuals to be in France.

3. Tin

Tin Well-Known Member

It also depends on how you look at 'the economic hit'.
    While is is true that UK <-> EU are quite evenly matched, the outlook becomes different if you look at

UK <-> NL
    UK <-> DE
    UK <-> FR

Being Dutch, I still don't think that the
    UK <-> NL becoming damaged is a nice thing, but DE <-> NL which is much more important stays unharmed.
    Also, in places where UK <-> DE becomes troublesome, there might be extra opportunities to increase NL <-> DE.
    So, all in all 'Outlook not so bad'.

4. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Not the point, it`s how much trouble Spain could make over road access and trade.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  5. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

Lol, you mean they want their home-grown, inbred bar tenders to stay in the UK?

6. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

Obviously. The EU project is more important than economics to the EU.

7. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

You have gone from the UK to France, therefore you must be a bar tender.

8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

You could view this as meaning that some things are more important than money, such as social cohesion and security perhaps. It's a very Tory view to know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

tuga, HarryB and stephen bennett like this.
  9. Tin

Tin Well-Known Member

that wasn't what I meant, if you look at the percentages of GDP, the UK gets hit much stronger than the EU or any of its members, and there are plenty of opportunities for those members to compensate for the loss by stepping in the gap that the UK leaves behind.
    If you look at the almost non existent cidre market in the Netherlands, there are now some Welsh brands that I can buy at local shops.
    They could easily switch to French brands, if/when the Welsh ones become too expensive.
    So France could compensate some loss of their UK market inside the EU.

No idea how relevant this example is in real live, but I'm sure you get the idea.

10. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

I think the term is bar steward.

russel likes this.
  11. Konteebos

Konteebos Post Ironic

12. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

But I am not French...

13. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

Except I don't vote Tory. All the things we discuss should come first equal. But not the EU. Obvs.

14. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Or the high fence they might put up very close to the runway. Once Benidorm is unattainable for Brits, Gib might become the Gammon resort of, err, last resort. Barbary Apes nicking Magnums from the porkers.

[​IMG]

15. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

You may not vote Tory, but putting financial considerations first (and potentially to the detriment of other important considerations) remains a very Tory thing to do. Which was my point.

16. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Dear Arlene, if you are going to run around spitting your dummy out because incompatible objectives are, err, just that, perhaps we should discuss how you propose your return the 'bung' you received from HM Gov UK, which was in return for your 'support' geddit? I assume you haven't blown this lot on a dodgy green energy scheme. Love and kisses, Treeza

TheDecameron likes this.
  17. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

My point was not that. My point was that the EU is not as important as all the aspects. Yet it puts itself first.

18. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Trust your gut business instincts - you relocated to be inside the EU. Smart move.

Still likes this.
  19. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

SteveS1 and TheDecameron like this.
  20. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

That's the sort of thing EV might argue. I'm not sure what else you'd expect it to do during a negotiation, though?