1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Old laptop

Discussion in 'off topic' started by lordsummit, Mar 23, 2020.

1. jonesi

jonesi pfm Member

Don't forget that once Windows is installed you'll have to pay Microsoft a licence fee to 'Activate' it.

2. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

I’ve hunted through this thread several times, but haven’t found the Coronavirus angle yet.

lordsummit likes this.
  3. garyi

garyi leave blank

just buy a key on ebay.

if the op is having issues post them here.

Wilson likes this.
  4. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Trade: Mark Grant Cables

You and I can do that easily :) but for most people here a straight SSD swap and fresh install is easier as long as there is no data to recover.

5. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

No, do not take on so! If it was a high spec machine 5 years ago it is still good, and with an SSD it will be great. All it takes is working out how to open the back, probably plenty of tutorials for your nachine on Youtube. Then with a small cross-head screwdriver take out the old hard disk, stick in a medium-quality SSD, e.g Crucial, and install whatever operating system you like. If Win 10 is too much hassle, put in Mint or Kubuntu Linux. Much easier to install, easy to use, and your kids will get used to it in 5 minutes.

6. garyi

garyi leave blank

If you actually give us the name of the laptop etc help will be forthcoming, I have done like a million installs of windows and a million ssds.

7. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

I’m getting there I think. It’s an RM machines one I bought from a school I left

8. garyi

garyi leave blank

Ah, I feel you r idea of high spec and mine will now be departing.

lordsummit likes this.
  9. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Just saw that RM stopped making (or selling under their brand) computers in 2014. So maybe not worth giving it an SSD etc. What are the specs? CPU? RAM?

10. garyi

garyi leave blank

Anything I ever saw by RM was, well, not cutting edge.

11. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

You mean like 1970s Readers' Digest stereos.....

12. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

I have a machine controlled by a laptop using windows 98, and want to fit a Samsung SSD. I tried using Samsung magician but the software does not work on old Windows. I don't have the original software. I would like to transfer Windows and the other programs installed. What method would you recommend? Thanks.

13. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

Whats the make and model of the old laptop?

Cheers,

DV

14. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

I'm sure you could get hold of a Win 98 with the licence key. It may not even be illegal by now, but I have no idea....

15. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

You need a bitcopy or raw copy software. This can do a total mirror copy of the old disc regardless of what is on it. A few out there, this is free but I have not tried it.

https://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

https://www.ubackup.com/clone/bit-copy-software-8523.html

Colin Barron likes this.
  16. garyi

garyi leave blank

On that basis you need to retain the data Darth will be your man here, I never clone always do a clean install, but I work on the premise of important data being in the cloud or on my home server so my local machines tend to be light weight OS installs.

Colin Barron likes this.
  17. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

It is a tower not a laptop, sorry my mistake, something like a pentium4 processor.

18. Darth Vader

I have asked above for the make and model as I suspect that the machine may use the IDE disk interface. Also he may be using an RS232 serial interface. There are some work arounds but I don't want to cloud the issue until I know what the machine actually is.

FWIW I can run old Win 95/98 games under Linux Mint so if he has original disks for important applications they may also run in such an environment.

Cheers,

DV

Colin Barron likes this.
  19. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

I just installed Mint on a 6 y.o. laptop alongside Windows 10 (an upgraded 8) but the uefi boot seems to prevent it offering me the OS options on startup, and I need to hit the Esc key immediately after powering it on to get to additional boot options. Anyone know an easy way around this as it's a bit of a pita?
    (HP Pavilion G6)

20. Darth Vader

You should be able to set your default/preferred start up O/S in the BIOS/UEFI.

Cheers,

DV