1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Skateboarders...

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Big Tabs, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

wrong
    My Dad made a skateboard in the 1940's, he made me one in 1972... skatebaords can be traced back to the 1940's as a soapbox cart that you would stand on rather than sit on - did have a handle though and metal (not clay) wheels my bet is that someone split a rollerskate and nailed it to a plank earlier than the 1940's I made several in the early 70's before Urethane Wheels changed everything, i had to settle for those crap black rollerskate wheels that would stop if they hit a pebble,

I had a set- they would slide in a nice controlable way, also I had Alva Rocks, Bones Cubics, Santa Cruz Slimeballs, Toxic's, Simms Pure Juice, Alley Catz, T-Bones... in fact I cannot recall all the sets of wheels I have had... but then I have skated since I was 7-8 yrs old

There must be others who still skate???

2. Minstrel SE

Minstrel SE These go to eleven

My parents could have bought me something better but they are the type of people that never saw the extra value in anything. To them it was just a kids toy.

They would argue that I didnt carry on doing it but it was hardly a board you wanted to do anything on. When you saw other kids with kryptonics and wooden boards it became too embarassing and i threw it in a cupboard. Oh how I dreamed of grip coverings :)

Its weird really because my dad was an engineer but a bike was just a BSO (bicycle shaped object) to him. A stereo was just the cheapest thing in a cabinet.

I had a tracker bike with the heaviest frame you could ever imagine. Bunch of old gas pipes welded together and painted black
    The Kids round the block had super lightweight frames.

Oh the painful days of realising that your parents were not quite as rich or forthcoming as you had hoped. I lost count of being told you dont need that. My paper round money didnt buy much.

Bitter moi? :)

3. Big Tabs

interesting... I could not afford the good stuff in the 70's and had to get 2nd/3rd hand - bearing in mind a single wheel was £7! in 1977 minus sealed bearings (£1 each, need 2 per wheel at the time) so in the seventies a good setup was getting on for a £100 plus... a real social divide between have and have nots, bizarrely a good set up now is about the same price - which illustrates how ripped off we were in the 70's. paper rounds were my only access to £££ then, about £1.50 a week? and maybe £1 for a Sunday round (that was the best gig - used to get to the shop at 0500 hrs on a Sunday morning and work till 0900 hrs on rollerskates! - it was a lot quicker that way

4. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

I did that in the early 70s after watching a B movie involving some American yoofs having a skateboard 'duel' down a local hill. Only problem was I never got to the point of realising you had to split the skates.. The 8 wheeler configuration never seemed to catch on for some reason :mad:

5. 1964meb

1964meb pfm Member

Oh my .....

5p each way from Thornton Heath to Waterloo ( south bank) . 2l orange squash and a bunch of raspberry jam sandwiches.

At least complete 2 summers. During those difficult teen years. 1978 - 1980

How many trucks and wheels were swapped . How many
    bruises were made on those thumping flat/ slope junctions.

Rose coloured specs are definitely in place!

M

Ps

Stacey petalta warp tail 2, trucker (5"??) power flex 5 ?? It is all such a long time ago!

Big Tabs likes this.
  6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I can't remember exact dates, but I'm pretty sure I bought the Kryps on sale at the back-end of the 70s wave when it was felt the 'craze' was ending - they were the last wheel I owned, bought after I'd worn a second hand pair of blue Kryps down. I guess it would have been around '79. I moved my existing (second hand) sealed bearings and spacers across.

7. John Channing

John Channing fruit box forever

From my youth, there was a second wave of skateboarding popularity in 85-86 when I got a board which was bigger than the plastic deck affairs I remember from the late 70s. These days I quite enjoy riding a Micro Black kick scooter and can cover a lot of ground on it very rapidly.

8. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Yep, Wouldn't argue with that. It fits with my view that there's nothing new under the sun. Let's just say that Skateboarding came to prominence in the 1960s.
    In the early 1960s and especially in the evil winter of 1963, I used a flattened out shade from a flourescent light as a 'snowboard'. I probably wasn't the only person on the planet to do so, but it wasn't a 'craze'.

Similarly, I well recall an article on the classic BBC kids prog 'All Your Own' on which the host (Huw Wheldon) discussed off road bicycling with a bunch of lads who had figured out how to oppose two lots of front forks and put a small spring in there to give some suspension.

I also recall being one of a group of about five who invented 'bath boarding'.
    We sat inside an old tin bath and got towed up a concrete path by a motorcycle. When the 'arse' was worn out of the bath, we put a big rock inside it to put our feet on, so maybe we also invented 'Rockboarding' :)

BTW, with your Nottm. references and a name like 'Big Tabs', would you be of the Nottinghamian persuasion?
    Mull

9. skito

skito pfm Member

Know the feeling. We were 5 children so it was at least partly inevitably.

I would have loved one of those boards with the see through green or red wheels. My immediate younger brother blazed the trail and got a board and helmet for his Christmas around 77/78 - we knew straight away the helmet wasn't right and looked like a yellow canoeing or rock climbing helmet - no other skateboarder had one. The board was just an oval piece of wood with no varnish or anything and some black roller skate-like wheels. It had zero control and on any less than super-steepish slope you would grind to a halt engulfed in an awareness of shame and anger. No paper round only two pence for the ice cream van occasionally so no real chance of anything much better. We were desperate for something with wheels that moved. I got a bike when I hit 14 though and forgot some of the shame!

10. Minstrel SE

Minstrel SE These go to eleven

Some may say I sound selfish but they were the first painful lessons that I couldnt have what I wanted. ( I couldnt have Nicola Greenup as well but thats another story) Its harder for a kid because I could only approach my parents for money. My paper round money was about £2.50 a week for doing double rounds!

I remember being given a brief try of a proper wooden board with quality trucks and red kryptonics. It was another world compared with the rock hard ride of my cheap plastic board.

A typical parents attitude would be make do with what weve got you. Who is satisfied with a third rate product though?

11. SCIDB

SCIDB Triode Man

Hi,

I used to skateboard. I still got my board somewhere.

I had one of these.

[​IMG]

with some Tracker trucks.

[​IMG]

and some Sims snake Conicals

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dean

Big Tabs likes this.
  12. mykel

mykel Fat guy flying.

Over in the Colonies.

Back in the late 70's the only thing you could find locally were the loose bearing roller-skate wheeled 5" wide plastic death-traps.

I ended up ordering a board from California. Cost me 160.00 at the time - a HUGE amount of money for a 13 year old. At almost 49 I still have it. My oldest who is a long-boarder rides it at the local skate park on occasion.

10x30 Kryptonics Krypstick.
    Tracker Ex-Tracks with coping pads.
    Peralta Bones with Fafnir bearings.
    Home made skid plate and side rails (old road-hockey plastic goalie replacement blade)

I got on it the other day, even with the trucks tightened right up, I still nearly killed myself - think I will stick to the downhill mountain biking....

Big Tabs likes this.
  13. bob atherton

bob atherton pfm Member

Big Tabs likes this.
  14. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Far from embarrassing, Bob you are now the coolest guy on PFM.

I had a pair of California Slalom trucks on my board. Although that's all I can remember about it now (memory failing).

Big Tabs likes this.
  15. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I wouldn't be at all embarrassed about that Bob, I think it's great. Do you still "keep supple by doing other sports"?

Leg pulling aside, great. I'd be delighted if I came across something I was doing at 21. Mid grade rock climbs in the south west of England, probably.

I love the 70s font on that mag, I have some bike magazines from that period and they are the same. Nice design but very very dated now.

Big Tabs likes this.
  16. bob atherton

bob atherton pfm Member

I still have my board from back then.

All that stuff about what I rode in the magazine was just guff; purely for the sponsors and advertisers.

What I really rode was a Bigfoot deck (small number made in Bristol; solid ash wood, no flex and quite wide) Tracker full track trucks with very firm rubber spacers with about ½ inch risers as well and Bones wheels. The Bones were great for riding pools, which was my favourite thing.

I hope you dudes still get rad on the vert……;)

Big Tabs likes this.
  17. Big Tabs

anyone skate the Malibu Dog Bowl in Nottingham? Late 70's v. early 80's? That was a mans bowl, ridiculously deep as I recall with rounded lip and a sort of 1/2 pipe run into it. made with 'shotcrete' I think, very smooth. Also Hyson Green banks?
    I made it to Skate City about 1977 (near HMS Belfast, the Thames) that was exciting! and a sunny day of pain and wonderment.

18. bob atherton

bob atherton pfm Member

Skated the Mad Dog Bowl in the East End of London; that's where I hooked up with Tony Alva. There was a very deep bowl in the middle of the country where the National Championships were held in 1978; I was pretty fearless but that was one big mutha; freaked me out, must have been well over 20ft deep :eek:

Big Tabs likes this.
  19. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

I missed out on all this. I have absolutely no idea why.
    That's one thing I would fix if I could do it all again.

20. Big Tabs

this will take you straight back there...

and part II

great soundtrack!

cannot find much on this film, 1978 - was shown before 'Grease' at the cinema, has Stacey Peralta in it - and the shots of South Bank, Skate City and 'Meanwhile Gardens I' make me 13 again.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018