1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

On acquiring a new system for free: a reminder for some, a tip for others.

Discussion in 'audio' started by Durmbo, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Durmbo

Durmbo not French

The other day I noticed that one channel had lost some HF response and was thick in the bass. It had to be something upstream as I heard it with the speakers swapped from side to side.

After moving the balance control back and forth a couple of times to listen to each speaker in isolation, the faulty channel returned to normal. Aha! I remembered something I hadn't done in about a year and turned all the pots (my amplifier has tone controls) from end to end a few times. Wow, the result was as if I had a whole new system. Clarity, dynamics, image size, everything improved. Out of sight, man. I also pushed the selector switches in and out a few times and pulled and reinserted all the cables at the rear. I normally use IPA for cleaning cable contacts but this time I couldn't be bothered.

Is this improvement is a result of decreasing resistance caused by corrosion and dirt at contact points in the audio path?

If you're starting to feel jaded by your system and haven't done this either yet or for some time, try it first. I'd expect that those whose amplifiers have analogue controls are likely to notice the greatest improvements.

Don't forget to check that all the screws in your speakers are tight, too. (This, I do frequently. The screws holding the drivers on my venerable Diamonds always get a little slack after a couple of weeks and I can hear the degradation.) Vibration, along with temperature and humidity changes, can loosen them, particularly if the drivers are merely screwed into particle board or MDF.

Got more tips for maintaining optimum sound quality without changing components? Chime on in. :)

2. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

same benefits from removing interconnect cables to clean the connection at the sockets?

3. Durmbo

Durmbo not French

I'd expect some, yeah. The benefits seem to be cumulative.

4. Wobblybob

Wobblybob pfm Member

I always do this every so often with my radiator thermostats.

5. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Does it make your system sound better?

Wobblybob likes this.
  6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Annual task at my parents place when I was a kid. Either my dad or I would be removing the plastic bits and tapping the valve stem with a hammer every autumn when the valves had been left seizing up for the summer.

If only for the fact that he's not freezing his arse off any more, yes.

Wobblybob and Snufkin like this.
  7. Rick_F

Rick_F pfm Member

If you're going to perform regular maintenance you can always rotate your mid / bass drivers 180 degrees to prevent them sagging. :)

Durmbo and Snufkin like this.
  8. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

This is particularly true with Spendor BC1 speakers.

Rick_F likes this.
  9. Durmbo

Durmbo not French

Funny you should say, I did this to my bandmate's drivers a couple of weeks ago when he complained of a farting noise from one of them. Problem gone, although I suspect the damage has been done.

Rick_F likes this.
  10. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

If the copper wires are not worn, the damage is really not that bad most of the time.

Durmbo likes this.
  11. Zombie

Zombie pfm Member

Do the same with all connections, signal and mains

12. agracie

agracie Active Member

is that why some recommend to plug and unplug a few times to clean the connectors? Is this something people do?

13. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I just tried this but it affected the stability really badly and they look stupid with the spikes pointing at the ceiling, I’m going to change them back...

Isobarik, Gervais Cote and TimF like this.
  14. TimF

TimF pfm Member

Nobody likes a sagging bottom end...

15. Rick_F

Rick_F pfm Member

In that case you also need to turn the room 180 degrees.

linnfomaniac83 and Durmbo like this.
  16. Durmbo

Durmbo not French

Yes and yes. I do the interconnects every so often. I normally use IPA. The more flush among us like to treat contacts with Deoxit.

My own jury's out on cleaning the mains plugs. I did do it once, many years ago. Pulled a multiboard apart and cleaned all contact surfaces with IPA; also the plug prongs of course. I've done components' mains sockets more often. Can a boffin confirm this is madness, so I need not obsess?

I used to pull and clean the output fuses and fuse holders in my amplifier as they were in the signal path. No need now as I've since bypassed them - a more than worthwhile improvement on its own.

17. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

Thanks for the clarification! :D

18. retrospective

retrospective pfm Member

A good clean up work wonders! i've lost count of the amount of gear that i've saved from landfill with some 'Holts' leccy contact cleaner soak all switches and pots then give them a good work out.
    Going through older amps with a sharp bladed penknife and removing all the excess flux is worthwhile.
    A Contact cleaner soaked business card drawn across any relay contacts can prove very worthwhile.