1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Onions

Discussion in 'off topic' started by mandryka, Mar 21, 2020.

1. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

i do like an onion or olive in a martini,

2. Euan

Euan pfm Member

rbrown and Shadders like this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

A lot of people on here know their onions. They run rings round anybody else !

Shadders likes this.
  4. MVV

MVV pfm Member

Why not act out that famous scene in cult film Scum? Put two in a football sock, stride purposefully into a room and shout "Where's ya tool!" then whack yourself round the head a few times.

5. zippy

zippy pfm Member

Ours store best in the garage at this time of year. When they eventually start sprouting we chop the leaves into salads.

6. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Throw them away. In my experience too many onions give you the sh1ts. YMMV, but see next post.

7. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Isn't it part of folklore that raw onions have anti bacterial and antiviral properties and that a raw onion cut in half and left in the room protects from infection? The OP could cut up some of his spare onions and place them strategically around the house and report back on the impact on family health and life in general.

8. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

Shame on you.

9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

That would be a crying shame.

Surely, only brown onions.

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

That's true
    That's not.

11. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I'm not surprised.

12. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

I saw a post a year ago saying that cut onions were a risk the health because they attracted bacteria. I replied gently stating that it was an internet myth and that if it was true a local food processor would have poisoned many people. They chop tonnes of onions each week to sell to commercial catering establishments. With the wind in the wrong direction you could smell the onions in our office.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  13. Bart

Bart pfm Member

Eat a few raw for breakfast, it will stop people coming too close to you in these troubled times.

stevec67 and Tony Lockhart like this.
  14. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

OH is back on the garlic for exactly that reason, she works in supermarkets and social distancing doesn't appear to be widely understood in Clacton.

Three onions and half a bulb of garlic last night between us. Bit windy here today.

15. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

I fart a lot in my normal life, so this social distancing is a piece of piss.

cutting42 likes this.
  16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I'm going to knock up some variant on pork and beans or pork and lentils, depending on what I have in, that will ensure the farting can continue as normal.

17. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

I'm with taking them down to A & E and leaving them for the staff.

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Somewhat scant reward for working A&E at the moment, I would think.

foxwelljsly likes this.
  19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

That's probably because you only have about 180 degrees geographically to socially distance yourself unless you want social immersion.

Now that it's official, I'd like to introduce to sub-set of onions; the spring onion. Able to be eaten raw without causing innumerable discomfort. Also, can be more easily and quickly grown, esp. in a greenhouse.

A year ago I sowed some ordinary onion seeds in my g/house. They're now the size of spring onions. With this long growth cycle and not being the easiest crop, I wonder how they are so cheap. Same goes for carrots, too.

20. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

You won't win many prizes for them, i've just finished sowing onion seed and we should be harvesting end of September at the latest, sets are ready for harvest mid Augustish.