1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

ONIX DNA-50: New review

Discussion in 'audio' started by seang, Apr 28, 2017.

1. seang

seang New Member

2. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

I'm also evaluating this amp at the moment. I'm not going to give detailed comments yet, but it is sounding superb. I want to switch systems and do some comparisons to get a full evaluation but the surprise for me has been how deep and rich it can sound, whilst still retaining that tight control that the old Onix designs shared with their black and chrome friends from Salisbury.

Just one comment on the linked review, which is that the high gain is not unusual; it seems to me similar to Naim amps.

3. matt j

matt j pfm Member

A bit too spendy and completely turned off by the extreme gain. Looks nice though.

4. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

thanks , good to read the review

5. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Do Hi-Fi Pig give anything but good reviews? The previous review that I read was a bit 'luke-warm'...

6. awl

awl pfm Member

I see Hi-Fi Pig have reviewed both the Onix dna-50 and Onix A-25 favourably, but wonder how they compare. Very different price points.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Are those even the same Onix? The brand history is remarkably complex with lots of trade mark disputes etc. I thought the DNA was the first 'real' Onix since the originals back in the '80s.

PS I loved my old OA21, wish I'd hung onto it as it would be a nice thing to have onocking around!

8. madmike

madmike Seen your member...

I have an OA21 with Onix (from last July) and they have lent me a DNA 50 to use in the meantime. I think the review is fair comment. The source selection is a bit fiddly but the sound is very good. I use it with SBLs.

9. drummerman

drummerman pfm Member

It's a review with no negatives whatsoever. According to Hifi pig there is no need for more powerful or expensive amplifiers. It's perfect ... well at least according to the reviewer.

No comparisons or possible examples where or to who this amp may not be so 'perfect'.

Forgettable review imho.

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I also didn't notice any reference to speakers used, i.e. with what efficiency was he finding the volume range overly compromised? This being an area that impacts me a lot as the difference between say JR149s (84db) and La Scalas (105db) is about '3 hours' on many volume knobs and it is certainly easy to run out of usable steps on a stepped attenuator with either if the system gain-structure is weighted to either end.

11. mikeyb

mikeyb pfm Member

Volume control?

12. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Hifipig, the home of credible reviewing, hardly.

13. keith24601

keith24601 pfm Member

Look forward to having a read later.

Thanks for posting.
    Currently using and enjoying an old OA21S :)

14. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Is there anyone that does credible hifi reviews ?
    Cars are always compared to obvious competitors. Hifi products almost never are (when comparisons are done they are against obsolete products or much more/less expensive products and the wording carefully chosen to upset no one).

15. lost audiophile

lost audiophile pfm Member

Hifi Critic? Most others are marketing arms of the hi-fi industry and at best sloppy journalism. Forums provide a much more useful platform for honest opinion.

16. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I think that once you know a reviewer's style, you can quite easily decipher the review. I remember a RG review of many years ago in which he didn't say anything bad about the kit, but you could tell he just hated it. The manufacturer couldn't have taken exception to anything he'd written, but it didn't take much to read between the lines. Plenty of that still goes on, as far as I can tell.

17. madmike

madmike Seen your member...

I have listened to my loan version from ONIX, while they service my OA21.

I used an Oppo BDM 105EU to play a DVD A remaster of Yes' "Tales from Topographic Oceans" Speakers were SBLs mk 1.

I enjoyed the sound very much. Not so muscular as my other Audiolab 8000A/TDL 3s sourced from an Alpha 7SE cdp system. Everything was "in its place". Dunno if thats the SBLs or the amp or the sophisticated up market dacs on the Oppo.

The other point is that I am still listening as I type so the music is engaging..or is that I love Yes so much!

18. jy3

jy3 pfm Member

TFTTO - a superb album to demo equipment but you do need a good source.
    Oh, you can never love Yes too much. :D