1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Onix OA21 rotary selector switch

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by misterc6, Aug 6, 2019.

1. misterc6

misterc6 Wasted and wounded, it ain’t what the moon did

My newly acquired OA21 suffers from an intermittent loss of signal on one channel of the 'Tuner' input. As this comes and goes with the lightest touch on the selector knob I'm guessing the switch itself needs replacing. Does anyone know where I can get one of these?

[​IMG]IMG_0634 by MALCOLM CONNAH, on Flickr

2. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

I believe it is (or can be replaced with) a Lorlin rotary switch.

When buying you need to select:

* number of switch positions

* number of poles (simultaneous connections for each position)

* angle of throw (rotation between consecutive positions)

It's a little confusing but you may wind up with one that has more poles than you need. I believe that the number of positions x number of pole is 12 for all of this type. So if for example you have 4 inputs to select, you order a 4 position/3 pole model and ignore one of the poles.

I used this one for a recent project.

misterc6 likes this.
  3. misterc6

Thanks, that’s fine. I don’t understand why my search for a 3 pole 4 position rotary switch on Farnell didn’t find this but I’ll add it my next order.

4. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Looks like a 2 pole 6 way to me, they have an adjustable stop so you can select the number of ways.

Have you tried in clipping the back and cleaning the contacts?

Pete

misterc6 likes this.
  5. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

How many selections does it have, the switch does look more like a 3 pole 4 way, with one set unused?
    The chances of getting an old switch apart without any plastic bits breaking are remote

misterc6 likes this.
  6. misterc6

Yes, that's correct and why I plan to replace it with new.

7. snowman_al

snowman_al pfm Member

In which case could you not swap (or parallel) the connections to the unused section? Until you get a replacement.

davidsrsb likes this.
  8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Have you tried squirting some Deoxit D5 into the hole in the middle and turning the switch to each end of its travel a good few times?

PS It is ridiculously expensive, but it really does work on pots and switches!

9. misterc6

I tried a squirt of Maplin's contact cleaner but that didn't help. Taking into account the age of the amplifier (>30 years) together with the facts that I hope to be around for a good few years to use it, that it arrived with me too late for Adam's final renovation project, and that the replacement part will cost me around £3 I will be taking that route!

Dowser and booja30 like this.