1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Onix question..

Discussion in 'audio' started by madmike, May 13, 2016.

1. madmike

madmike Seen your member...

Does the OA21 and the SOAP work like the Cyrus 2 and the PSX ?

IE, the external PSU is optional ?

2. topa

topa Sans CDPs

Yes.

3. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

I didn't hear much of a difference with the SOAP on an OA21S, maybe a tiny difference on an OA21. However I could do with a SOAP for my BWD-1.

4. madmike

I ask because I bought an OA21 off ebay misdescribed as a power supply and consequently cheaper...ooops !

5. electricbath

electricbath New Member

You're right. The PSU is optional. I had the original one and could never tell the difference but apparently the SOAP 2 is effective, if you can track one down.

6. madmike

My new (to me) OA21 has now been despatched....can't wait to try it.
    Its up against an Audiolab 8000A, Cyrus II, Cambridge P50, Arcam Delta 60, Tandberg 2075 and Marantz 7200. I must have a thing for vintage British amps.

7. madmike

Arrived today, appalling packaging, may or may not work, looks ok. No id marks outside to say which Onix it is but it was made in May 1986...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. banjoman

banjoman pfm Member

The insides look fairly clean - so you may have got a bargain.
    Let us know how it sounds - they are great little amps.
    The coloured dot under the disc label on the rear indicates whether its an MM or MC. Mine is MM and has a yellow dot, so I assume the red dot on yours indicates an MC stage, though I may be wrong

9. madmike

It doesnt work....gutted. The sound is there at very low volume but the minute you crank it up there is no power and it gets distorted. An easy fix ????
    I could return it but I wonder if they'll let me have it cheaper and get it fixed ?

10. banjoman

banjoman pfm Member

Real shame. How much did you pay for it? If very little, then worth getting it looked at - I believe the original Onix founder has recently started servicing the old Onix amps here in the UK

11. madmike

I paid £99 on ebay. It was listed as a power supply but working.
    Do you know who he is and where ?

12. banjoman

banjoman pfm Member

13. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

Reseat all the wiring connectors on the pcb - they can come loose in transit. I had an issue with the transformer connector being loose after selling one. Took ages to diagnose. Also check the output fuses. Is it the same on all inputs?

14. madmike

James...it was the fuses. Both blown. I replaced them and now its working....bit late to turn the wick up but all is well. Thank you so much....

15. James Evans

Cool, glad it was an easy fix.

16. banjoman

banjoman pfm Member

Ah! That was easy. I recently had exactly the same problem in one channel due to a blown fuse.
    Enjoy and let us know how you get on...its a great little amp and £100 for one of these is a ridiculous bargain, IMO

17. madmike

I know Banjoman, that's why I snagged it. I will give it a full shakedown tonight. Rigged it to some Kef concertos and a Phillips cdp. I expect it will come into its own on vinyl so I have a TD150 deck ready...

18. banjoman

banjoman pfm Member

The MM phono stage on my OA21 is very good indeed, though yours may have an MC stage - do you know what it is?

19. awl

awl pfm Member

Here's a pic of the back of my OA21 amps:

[​IMG]

So the one you've just bought is an original OA 21 rather than the later OA 21s. It looks to be in fine condition on the inside. I can't be sure about the phono board, but think it might be MC, although this is more unusual. There's an easy way to find out...!

Andrew

20. James Evans

I would guess it's MC - the red sticker on the phono board appears to have a C on it? Also, there's a couple of transistors near to the input red tants that aren't there on the photos of my old MM board (having unpopulated holes instead).

Andrew, those look in great condition. Have you done much side by side comparison? I've had 21 and 21s but never at the same time.