1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Optical Toslink Cable suggestion

Discussion in 'audio' started by gerlando, May 20, 2019.

1. gerlando

gerlando pfm Member

Hello there,
    which optical toslink cable do you suggest between my Yamaha WXC-50 digital streamer and my DAC?

I'm thinking about Audioquest Pearl/Forest or Qed Performance.

Other suggestions?

Many thanks.
    Mauro

2. narabdela

narabdela who?

Dare I suggest something cheaper, or might that spawn another cable thread?

3. gerlando

gerlando pfm Member

Audioquest Forest is currently £24 on Amazon...

4. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

My friendly dealer Tony who has sold me enough Coherent mains cables and interconnects told me a cheapo Toslink would be fine feeding into my TAD Pre/CD/DAC

Sounds good to me.
    Comparing to a Mark Grant Coax from Pi to TAD (using either) the Toslink sounded better.
    On Ebay for about a quid

narabdela likes this.
  5. gerlando

gerlando pfm Member

So which Toslink did you use?

6. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

7. gerlando

gerlando pfm Member

8. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Happy to help.
    Surprised a cheap Toslink could do so well.
    Worth a punt for the money

9. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

I'm using all 3 toslink inputs on my Linn Akurate Kontrol and 'something cheap from e bay' is plugged into all of them and they all sound fine. If you want to pay more, go for it.

booja30 likes this.
  10. gerlando

gerlando pfm Member

Just ordered it on ebay.

11. Whatsisnaim

Whatsisnaim pfm Member

Toslink is quite a poor standard, and one issue that is common is a poor fit between plug and socket, so that they can work loose. If the cable is very stiff, that sometimes makes this problem worse. So I would choose a cable that feels like it has a secure fit at both ends, and buy from a supplier who will allow you to return it for a refund if it doesn't fit well.

hifinutt likes this.
  12. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

The fit on mine is much too tight. Cable thin and floppy
    Hopefully the next one will be an easier fit

13. Fire99

Fire99 pfm Member

I use Wireworld’s Supernova 7 which uses Borosilicate glass fiber optic conductors and have been very impressed with its performance.

14. narabdela

narabdela who?

That's a lot to pay just for a good fit. :eek:

booja30 likes this.
  15. gerlando

gerlando pfm Member

"Oh baby baby it's a wire world..." :eek:

16. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

I have a couple of Chord Opichord 1metre longcables available: £20 each, posted (uk);)

17. simon g

simon g Grumpy Old Man

18. Fire99

Fire99 pfm Member

I agree and I wouldn't pay for the fit of a cable either . I was just impressed with the sound having first started off with an optical cable from Cambridge Audio and then was given the Wireworld to audition a year later, I was sold after hearing it. I just lucked out that it fits securely.:)

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  19. Moggi1964

Moggi1964 Active Member

20. vinylslug

vinylslug Resisting beguiling upgrades.

I recently used a QED Performance Graphite Toslink and found it difficult to tell any difference between it and a Chord Clearway Coaxial in A/B comparison. I preferred living with the Chord ultimately, but it's 2 1/2 times the price. The QED is impressive.