1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Organising your physical collection

Discussion in 'music' started by tiggers, Feb 5, 2020.

1. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

With a reasonable quantity of vinyl and what you might call a largeish quantity of CDs I try to keep my collection ordered. Artists and bands are relatively easy, but various artist collections and compilations less so.

Any pointers as to how other pfm'ers take different approaches to this? Genre? Title? Year of release? Combinations thereof?

2. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

With various artists etc I tend to organise per genre or even label e.g. all my Sarah Records comps are together...

3. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

under v

maccar and tiggers like this.
  4. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

By artist surname.
    Compilations by album title.

5. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

Genre/Year/label or artist

6. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Stuffed in amongst the rest in any old fashion, just like the whole lot!

7. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

The "various artists" were the first to be removed from the shelves and archived in the spare bedroom cupboard when I needed a bit more room.
    I tend to buy VA discs to explore new stuff and forget about them once I have got albums from the artists I really liked on the compilation.
    Before oblivion, they get lumped together after "Z" on the last shelf of "non classical".

guydarryl likes this.
  8. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

Various artists, own section in alphabetical order...

Weekender likes this.
  9. TomF

TomF pfm Member

VA - slung together on the shelf. No order other than in the VA section. But then my collection isn’t that big.

Artists - within the same letter grouping only; it’s rare that multiple albums by the same artist find themselves together.

10. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Since all my CDs are classical / opera I split them by composers nationality, where more than one nationality is on the disc it goes on the mixed shelves - this gets me to the right area quickly enough.

paulfromcamden likes this.
  11. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I just have a rough a-z with various under 'v'. Easy to get bogged down in minutiae.

12. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Yeah that is what I used to do, but the collection has got a bit large for that now. I think I'm going to re-organise the various artists outside of the artists and do it by genre/disc title/year. Currently they are in disc title order, but this is getting a bit unwieldy.

13. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Gets even more interesting/confusing when you take the plunge to rip Your cds....

14. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

You will drive yourself mad. I have over 1000 CD's & around the same in vinyl, yet to lose anything.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  15. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Nah, got borderline OCD so it appeals to me lol :D Plus got over 3000 compilation CDs alone so needs some organisation.

Woodface likes this.
  16. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Strict alphabetical within genre.

Bloss

17. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

This.

18. molee

molee pfm Member

Outer sleeve. inner sleeve, record, Outer sleeve, inner sleeve, record=repeat until pile falls over or missus gets the hump.

foxwelljsly likes this.
  19. Alex N

Alex N pfm Member

Blimey. That’s over 3000 more than I have. I have a small handful of label round-ups, but no Best Of / Hits kind of albums at all.

20. littleaudioco

littleaudioco Trade: the little audio company

All various in a section of their own - not under V as that means they’re in with the “proper” albums :)

Also, movie soundtracks sit separately too, but also in alphabetical order, although alphabetical by movie title, as I don’t always know the artist who produces the score.

tiggers likes this.