1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Painting over wooden window frames finsished with dark woodstain

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Schnitger, Sep 7, 2019.

1. roman

roman pfm Member

Apologies steveinspain, I posted reply not noticing you'd mentioned coverstsin too.

Not stealing your thunder but support your recommendation with the caveat that it doesn't block stains as well as bin.

steveinspain likes this.
  2. Schnitger

Schnitger pfm Member

I used Zinsser Bin in the end. The dealer was helpful and produced a Zinsser leaflet that confirmed its use for this purpose. I won't know if it's worked for a few days until I can examine the the small area of top coat I've applied in daylight. If Bin fails I'll try Coverstain.

hifinutt likes this.
  3. Schnitger

Schnitger pfm Member

Thanks for the advice. What happens to Bin when it comes into contact with water?

4. steveinspain

steveinspain pfm Member

I've always believed that as BIN is not flexible it is only suitable for spot priming wood as it is likely to fail - I think it was the zinsser tech support people who told me that which is why I suggested cover stain.
    If your frames are hardwood then they'll swell/shrink less but let's hope it all works for you.
    Fot the benefit of others reading this, meths is one of the best ways to degrease surfaces prior to painting, I also use a product called Krud Kutter on kitchen units etc. When painting over any previously painted woodwork a bridging primer is almost essential and quality paint is worth every penny - I use and recommend Benjamin Moore paints, and they have the best customer service I've ever used. Their paints go further then any others I've used, flatten better (ie fewer brush marks) and cover better.
    As someone who earns a large part of my income sploshing paint around these things are important both to me and my clients!

hifinutt likes this.
  5. steveinspain

steveinspain pfm Member

PS. Hope I don't sound like some sort of clever clogs - I'm not (hey, you know what I do for a living..) I'm also not the most technically minded person, but keeping my clients happy matters so I try to use the best products I know of.
    So, I'm not saying that I'm right @roman just another opinion!

6. roman

roman pfm Member

I agree that bin is a little brittle but needs must etc, I'm about to paint an entire room with the stuff (fire damage). That's where good quality water based is good as it remains flexible whereas oil based tends to lose flexibility over time.

I also use Benjamin Moore and agree its v good if a little over hyped (problems with coverage with some colours- like most brands), but few people want to pay the extra even when told that usually less paint is required (therefore less labour too). It's also only available in two shops I know of.

7. steveinspain

steveinspain pfm Member

Get that mask on NOW!
    Clearly we are both in a similar line of work - hope I didn't come across as pompous.
    I guess you'll have had dealings with Craig and Helen at BM - good folk to work with.
    I think they now have a third store, up in Wilmslow?

8. roman

roman pfm Member

Not pompous at all, just good knowledge freely given. It's what I love about this site. Yes I've dealt with Helen at the slough store, she took an age to patiently take me through the options and products. Top class service. Not spoken to Craig but he often pops up on painters pitstop where I occasionallt lurk but don't post.

Didn't know about the third store. Could do with one in east London.

9. steveinspain

steveinspain pfm Member

.. and I could do with one in Cornwall..!
    As for coverage issues - I had to paint a wall (2.5x4 m) with a dark green Dulux. After 4 coats onto a sealed wall I rang Dulux who informed me that some of their paints require 4 or maybe 5 coats. Long story short, but they ended up refunding me the cost. 2 coats of BM and all was good, except my loss of time..
    Sorry to be dragging this off topic!

10. Schnitger

Schnitger pfm Member

You make a good point about the paint's inflexibility. The job is done now so I'll see how it goes. Given what you've said, I'll wipe the next frame with meths rather than white spirit and try Cover-stain.

11. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Some great tips here from some very knowledgeable people , thanks

12. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

I wish I had you guys when I renovated a heavy smokers house and put literally 6 or 7 coats of emulsion on the ceiling without occluding the marks. Only in desperation did I use pva to seal it and it's been fine.