1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Paying staff to not work

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rodrat, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Ellenor

Ellenor pfm Member

Facebook generation. More people around here than I can count and some of them are good friends. About 3 yrs ago we were lucky to have a bit of money come our way. What did I do with it? No I didn’t blow it on a car or a round the world holiday. I realised if we gathered the other money we had here and there we could pay off the mortgage so that’s what we did even though it left us skint at the time. Since then we’ve had no debts and have been saving.
    I know we’ve had some luck but there are plenty of others who wouldn’t have done things the same.

2. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

For this purpose definitely self-employed, although if all the work she does is for the same business and she is effectively an employee but without employee status and protection HMRC may take an interest at some point (nothing to do with this crisis).

I would be surprised if there weren't a further announcement regarding the self-employed real-soon-now. HMRC know who they are and how much they claim to earn. Some assistance for those not in the benefits system seems appropriate.

3. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

This not just about the current situation, the Brexit balls up had already put a great many business’ under pressure. As it happens my wife has never has an overdraft, doesn’t lie about her income, workS 10-12 hours a day and hasn’t drawn an income for 4 months but has paid her staff and all the bills. So before you start having a go it would be helpful to not generalise or compare to people you know. If you are that concerned shop them to the revenue.

twotone and lagavullin10y like this.
  4. Thorn

Thorn pfm Member

You're presumably a native of Cloud Cuckoo Land. What you say was at one time possible in England, but hasn't been for many years.

5. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

Don't give her the £1000.....then you have nothing to complain about and she might learn a lesson.

If your house painting is that easy, then why don't you do it over a couple of weekend's?

6. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Presumably the grand is for children, not the girlfriend.

7. lagavullin10y

lagavullin10y pfm Member

Taxes are cost number one. It is higher than the net wages I pay.

Regarding house painting, I had a good painter painting my house, it took him a month long days - it is worth every penny of the GBP 9000 it was.

8. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

£9000, to paint a house, what do you live in, a castle

9. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

Depending in his definition of "girlfriend" he might not have a choice... ;)

10. Bob McC

According to the Times support for self employed will be easy to work out as a % of their declared income.

11. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

That’s the easy bit but doesn’t reflect how many self employed people pay themselves. Many draw a minimal salary for lots of valid reasons, whether it be to perfectly legitimately maximise HMRC tax allowances, pay into a pension (if they can afford to) or reinvest in the business etc. For those with Ltd Co’s, dividend income, which is taxed at a very similar level to PAYE (being effectively Corp tax + dividend tax), won’t count. It’s a difficult one and I understand all the arguments.

It’s going to be incredibly tough for the self employed without reserves to get through this, even with govt support. So please, before those ill informed with guaranteed incomes whatever the weather start branding them all tax dodgers, consider that many are likely to lose everything over the coming months.

12. Bob McC

Yeah, sure.
    And a lot of chickens are going to come home to roost.

13. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Presumably, you’d have no objection to the self employed including any pension contributions they may have made in determining their gross income for the purposes of any support, in the same way employees can?